Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Guillaume78
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Guillaume

Advice backup over the wan

Post by Guillaume78 »

Hello,

I would like to have your advice because I am having difficulty to externalize the backups over the wan of customers.
They use hyper-v and have vm which can do several TB.
I have already looked at several topics but I am a little confused.

Currently I have installed Veeam Agent for Windows free on the VMs and which backs up to a local NAS.
Then these backups are externalized to us on a NAS either by rsync or by ftp.

The problem is that with each new backup the *.vbk file is modified and several TB are copied.
Even with 200Mb fiber links it is too long.

With us we also have a Veeam B&R community edition server which is only used for backups of our local servers.

What solutions could I use to optimize these backup over the wan ?

Thanks for your help
Guillaume
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Advice backup over the wan

Post by Mildur »

Licensing Violation
First thing, you are not allowed to use free agents or community edition to provide managed backup services to your customers. Have a look at the enduser license agreement. Your customers needs to buy licences if you are involved in their backup environment.
You could use rental licensing if you are managing their backups or sell them a enduser license (VUL).

https://www.veeam.com/eula.html
5.0 Free Licenses and Community Licenses. Free and Community License products can be used in your own production environment in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You may not use the Free and Community Licenses to provide services to third parties (including support services for existing installations) or to process third party data.
Now for the technical recommendation:

Veeam Agent over NAT is not supported by veeam. The cloud connect service is the solution for such cases.

With rental licensing, you can register yourself as a cloud connect service provider and set up a cloud connect environment in your datacenter. Your customer will backup their dat directly to your backup storage this way.
With rental, you can license the vbr and agents of the customers correctly. The hyperv vms should use a local veeam server todo image level backups to the local nas and copy then de data from the nas to the cloud connect repo in your datacenter.

https://www.veeam.com/de/cloud-connect- ... iders.html
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Guillaume78
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Guillaume

Re: Advice backup over the wan

Post by Guillaume78 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I did not read the terms of use correctly and I apologize for violating the license agreement.
I will remedy this problem very quickly.

Thank you for the indication of Veeam cloud connect, I will move on this.