Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
robert rosenberg
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: robert rosenberg

Backup from storage snapshot proxy configuration

Post by robert rosenberg »

Hi All
So I have some concerns about Direct-SAN / Backup from storage snapshot proxy config. My real concern is exposing a Windows Server 2019 to my SAN FC infrastructure. I have read the Backup Infrastructure for Storage Snapshots section of the manual and searched the BP guide. I couldn't find in either location the information regarding disabling automount in diskpart, and setting the SAN policy to offline shared in diskpart. Which I found in the following KB's after some searching.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1446 and https://www.veeam.com/kb1895 which lead to http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2002227

This was very concerning, if I just followed the manual my proxy could have destroyed my VMFS luns. Now I am paranoid about zoning in my proxy. I would really think the manual would have references to these settings. So to my real question. Did I miss some other setting which could result in data loss? Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

My environment of concern:
3 x ESXi 6.7 hosts connected to FC storage
2 x Tintri Intelliflash FC SAN Storage units
1 x Physical proxy (the one about to be zoned in)
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Backup from storage snapshot proxy configuration

Post by ronnmartin61 »

I'm pretty sure we forcibly disable automount - post382250.html?hilit=automount#p382250
robert rosenberg
Novice

I had read that before in relation to the B and R server. However I verified with this proxy it was not the case. Not sure if this is a v11 reintroduced issue or not. I certainly only have a sample size of 1. I added the physical host as a proxy then went looking for the automount KB which I had come across in the past. When I ran diskpart -> Automount -> Automatic mounting of new volumes enabled. I was surprised at that result. Also when I ran SAN at diskpart I got "Online All".
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

This looks quite strange, as product should disable both settings, so worth reaching our support team. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

There can be group policies applied that force the system to revoke the changes made by Veeam.
You can check as well the logs of Veeam as when you add the Proxy we will check the SAN policy setting.
Beside some client operating systems, all windows server versions have at least online(shared) as the default which enables only changeable media.
So even when Veeam would have faced an issue with setting the SAN policy (for whatever reason) the setting should not be "online all". This is why I think something else changed it or force change it.

Backup from Storage Snapshot do NOT need the volumes visible on the proxy server. We just temporary mount the snapshots as needed. This would be the savest method to proceed here. (You only need the zoning, but no LUN masking with the original datastore LUNS defined).
robert rosenberg
Novice

Thanks for the replies!