Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chrisknight
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Knight

v5.0.1 multiple daily files and other question

Post by chrisknight »

Hello,
We are using Veeam 5.0.1 currently. I have two simple (I hope) questions. Please see attached screenshot:

Why do I sometimes have multiple files per day?
&
Can I delete some of these files in case I ever need to save space? I assume I can delete them as long as I delete oldest first. With that being said, is it true that if I only want to keep the most recent backup, (say for off site storage) that I only really have to keep the 1 large file 369,060,441KB on 11/22/2011. Correct?
Thank you in advance for your time!
-Chris
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: v5.0.1 multiple daily files and other question

Post by Sethbartlett »

None of these are on the same day, your best bet is to lower your retention policy if need be. You can get rid of the old ones first if you really need to save space. Your best bet is to sort by filename. Do not look at the windows modified time as we touch the files when checking retention policy. Instead, look at the names of the files, they have a date-time stamp built in.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, for the latest restore point you need to VBK file only, VRB are earlier restore points.

You can delete older restore point, but don't use "Date Modified", and rather use timestamp in the file name to sort them - and then delete starting from oldest. Although truly it would be best to upgrade to at least 5.0.2, that automatically cleans up deleted VM from backup after set number of days - so you won't have this issue again.

What happens above is known bug/feature of v5. B&R tries to preserve restore points of some deleted VM, and this "holds" those backup files to keep specified amount of restore point. If not that VM, the older backup files would have been deleted automatically by retention policy. One way to "release" them without upgrading is to select the deleted VM under Backups node > this Buffalo job, and remove it from disk. And again, 5.0.2 will purge deleted VMs from backup files automatically after set period of time, so upgrading to the latest v5 release is the preferred way. Or even better, go straight for v6.

Thanks.
chrisknight
Influencer

Post by chrisknight »

Sethbartlett wrote:None of these are on the same day, your best bet is to lower your retention policy if need be. You can get rid of the old ones first if you really need to save space. Your best bet is to sort by filename. Do not look at the windows modified time as we touch the files when checking retention policy. Instead, look at the names of the files, they have a date-time stamp built in.
< smack forehead >
Of course! I should have deduced this.
< /smack forehead>
Gostev wrote:Correct, for the latest restore point you need to VBK file only, VRB are earlier restore points.

You can delete older restore point, but don't use "Date Modified", and rather use timestamp in the file name to sort them - and then delete starting from oldest. Although truly it would be best to upgrade to at least 5.0.2, that automatically cleans up deleted VM from backup after set number of days - so you won't have this issue again.

What happens above is known bug/feature of v5. B&R tries to preserve restore points of some deleted VM, and this "holds" those backup files to keep specified amount of restore point. If not that VM, the older backup files would have been deleted automatically by retention policy. One way to "release" them without upgrading is to select the deleted VM under Backups node > this Buffalo job, and remove it from disk. And again, 5.0.2 will purge deleted VMs from backup files automatically after set period of time, so upgrading to the latest v5 release is the preferred way. Or even better, go straight for v6.

Thanks.
Thanks everyone for the info! This is great! This forum is great! We have purchased the licensing for v6 and will go right to v6. I caught wind of a patch for v6. Should I do that, or wait for a v6.0.1 release?
Thanks,
Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This is really up to you, but keep in mind that 6.0.1 will not be available until around February, as there are no critical issues in v6 to justify an earlier release. For those issues generating multiple support cases, we release hotfixes and distribute them through support in the form of cumulative patches. Basically, 6.0.1 will be nothing more than 6.0 with all hotfixes available at the time of 6.0.1 release integrated. Thanks.
chrisknight
Influencer

Post by chrisknight »

Maybe I'm missing something on one of my backup jobs. I have two backup jobs that run every other night. They are the exact same job with the only difference being to which (2) buffalo NAS the job is sent. Job one seemed to work fine after the 1st run, getting rid of all the extra restore point files after the update to v6.0, and I now have the correct 14 restore points for that job. Job two still looks like the above screen shot for some reason with extra files.
Both backup jobs show "successful" every night.
Both backup jobs have a 10 day retention policy for deleted VM's.
Both jobs settings are the same.
Can someone help me out? If I need to open a support ticket, I can do that.
Thanks,
Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you've already upgraded your Veeam B&R server to v6, then it would be better if you could open a support ticket. This discussion is about v5 which had slightly different retention logic.