PowerShell script exchange
MJlee
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Maojun Li

Veeam 11 powershell module

Post by MJlee »

Is there a way to use Veeam 11 powershell module without installing Veeam console on my local machine? I'm on a Macbook and would like to connect to our Veeam server by using powershell.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Veeam 11 powershell module

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Maojun,

Do you have powershell module installed on your Mac?
If yes - you can just connect VBR server and run whatever you need.
If no - you will have to install powershell module first.

If you don't want to install anything - I would say it's easier to connect to the target machine with RDP and run Powershell console on it. :)

Thanks!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 2 people like this post

Hi Maojun,

Besides the ps remoting option Natalia mentioned, there is no other way at the moment, I'm afraid. Our powershell module comes in one package with VBR console, so you cannot really just install it from powershell gallery like PowerCLI or else. Well, I mean, you could copy it to the machine, play around with .NET Core to make your Mac recognize the module manifest altogether with the bundle of dependant libraries, but it has never been tested, so even if it works out fine, I cannot, by any means, guarantee that you won't have bugs with the cmdlets itself, like problems with data serialization/deserealization and such. I do think though that it would be super cool to make our powershell module standalone and have this feature request noted for a while now.

Thanks,
Oleg
MJlee
Service Provider
Full Name: Maojun Li

Post by MJlee »

Thanks Oleg, looking forward to see one day the Veeam powershell module can be standalone.
timmi2704
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Timo Brandt

Post by timmi2704 »

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether there is any update on this?
We did not give it a try yet, but was someone able to get this running fine?
Or was an official module package maybe already provided?

oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Timo,

An official standalone powershell module is still on a long run mainly because of two reasons:

- Microsoft removed snap-in support in Powershell Core (6.x and higher), which is one of the main reasons we need a module. But that would also require migrating our whole product to .NET Core and customizing classes missing in .NET Core to make it work.

- We would need to make sure every cmdlet works in a remote environment just with .NET libraries (without VBR console) and understand what additions to a backend code are needed if it doesn't.

While the second point is managable in terms of the nearest future, the first is definitely not a next or a post-next release solution.

Thanks,
Oleg
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

@Oleg: Do you have any news or plans on this topic?
We want to inventory Veeam via Powershell with our documentation software. While remote Powershell would work, a standalone Powershell module which we could integrate would be much more convenient.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

No news on this topic right now. Our plan is to take one step at a time and support Powershell Core first. Thanks!
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

Then we'll have to go with Powershell remoting for now. I tried to export/extract the module but I would only get from one error to the next.
Thanks anyway.
JuggerMouse
Lurker
Full Name: Travis Martinez

Post by JuggerMouse »

@Regnor - pardon me if I'm stating the obvious but just installing the console where you want to execute your scripts from would keep you from remoting but connect to VBR directly.

@Oleg - I understand the challenges and I'm not a developer. It would be an excellent addition to have the package separated though.
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

@JuggerMouse: Thanks for the hint. I know that installing the console will work, but this isn't a good solution for a large scale or for bundling with a 3rd party software. Installing/importing a Powershell module would be much more convinient.