Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Surebackup not respecting maximum boot time

Post by Moebius »

Trying to set up Surebackup on v11 (having used it extensively on previous versions), I created an application group with only one VM for testing.
The VM fails the ping test and I need to find out why. So I need to log into the IR'ed VM in the lab.

The only VM in the Application Group is configured with
no role
100% memory
1800 secs max boot time
Application inizalization timeout 1 second
heartbeat and ping enabled.

The vm starts and the heartbeat test succeeds, then the ping test fails saying "No successful ping(s), waiting for maximum boot time". But instead, it tries again the ping test after only 5 minutes, then proceeds and shuts down the vm with the result Failed, not leaving enough time to log into the vm to check why it doesn't respond to ping.

So it looks like the 1800 secs of max boot time are not respected, unlike in previous versions. Any idea of why?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Surebackup not respecting maximum boot time

Post by Gostev »

I don't think SureBackup was touched in V11 so devs hardly had an opportunity to change or break anything there, but you never know... worth having support look through your SureBackup job logs to confirm what's happening.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Lucio,

You may try the option "Keep the application group running after the job completes" and to disable ping test in startup options of the application group itself. Thus, you'll have enough time to troubleshoot pings. However, I agree with Gostev, it's better to let our support team to have a look at the issue.

By the way, SureBackup waits for the time specified in "Maximum allowed boot time" only in case if it determines stabilization point based on max boot time, for example there are no VMware tools installed on the VM. Please refer to this section of our user guide to get more information regarding the stabilization algorithms.

Thanks!
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

I will open a case, thanks.
@Gostev, I wasn't using SB with v10 and don't know if the behavior was the same. The code break might have happened before.