Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
nicolasross
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicolas Ross

Bare metal restore won't boot

Post by nicolasross »

Hi there !
M home computer uses veeam agent free version 4.x to backup to a nas. I do a complete backup. I really messed up my windows to the point that I need to restore. So I burned a recovery media on the computer beeing backed up. I boot the recovery media and do a bare-metal restore using some point in the past (last friday, 5 days ago).

The restored system won't boot and looping in the windows recovery screens. While searching, I found that I might need to uncheck "inject drivers" in tools beforehand. I then unplugued my e: drive (1tb vs my 256gb c: drive) so that restore would be faster. Again, bare-metal restore only system partition. Still no joy.

I also found some references to disbaling intel-vt in uefi bios prior to restore. I am noyw trying this, but now I re-plugued my e: drive and do a complete restore. Hope to get it working. Next try would be to restore to the latest point and not one from 5 or 6 days ago.

Anything else I missed while I wait ?
nicolasross
Novice

Re: Bare metal restore won't boot

Post by nicolasross »

Restore failed with intel-vt disabled and restore of 5-day old restore point.
Restore in progress on the most recent restore point
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nicolas,

Sorry for the delay. Were you able to restore your machine? If not please ping me back and I'll ask support team to reach you: we might need recovery logs to understand what went wrong. Thanks!
nicolasross
Novice

Post by nicolasross »

No, I did not.

In my computer I have 2 physical drives. One for the OS and all, and a second one for some data and some pretty big folders that could easaly be re-downloaded in the event of a crash. On that 1 TB drive, it accounts for more than 80% of the drive. Only about 100 gig remained backuped.

Whit this, from what I suspect, is that my backup job was for volume-level backup and not entire computer, or even file-level since those big folders where empty in my backup. SO some os-needed partition like the EFI system partition might not have been in the backup.

I ended up re-installing form scratch and restored the files I needed from my backup.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi Nicolas,

Please review this article on System State Data Backup next time you configure your backup jobs.
It uncovers what specific options have to configured in order to perform a proper OS recovery.

Thanks!