Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Veeam file level restore(to windows) some questions

Post by kaboomza »

Hi guys, although there are a number of documents and technical docs on the veeam portal regarding ports etc..I find that some of them are created for a specific scenario and at times difficult to find clear and concise simple answers to some questions, If somebody can help me answer the below please in a simple and clear fashion:

1. What is the most effective/fastest type of File-level restore that can be done to windows hosts? Is it the normal restore via RPC directly to the host?
2. What would be the exact ports that need to be open for a proper and fast file-level restore to be done directly back to the windows VM ? (Please either provide the actual ports or a document and the "subsection" I need to look at to ensure I am looking at relevant information.

Thanks in advance!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam file level restore(to windows) some questions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1. usually RPC, yes (VIX is the slowest and should be avoided). Not sure, whether anyone ever did benchmarks with the persistent guest agent. Using instant disk restore and then copy inside the VM would also be possible. I would go with RPC and if you want to reduce ports, then use the persistent guest agent
2. the user guide has the ports (also check the "Connections with Persistent Agent Components" section). Instant VM disk recovery doesn't require any ports

Best regards,
Hannes