Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Dedicated VM for proxy?

Post by pufferdude »

We replicate several critical machines across 20Mbps fiber nightly, from our main site to a remote site that has a single ESX 4.1 host. Currently, on that host is a single Windows 2008R2 VM that is basically acting like a local DC, DNS, DHCP and small file server for the remote site... it sees very little traffic most of the time. The host that this VM resides on contains quite a bit of local storage, and this is where we currently replicate the VMs from the main site to.

With the new proxy architecture, I'm wondering if I need to install a dedicated VM to act as the proxy, or if there's any reason I can't simply use the existing VM there to act as a proxy in the middle of the night when no one is accessing the server, anyway? Adding another VM is trivial, of course, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to... Any advice?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Dedicated VM for proxy?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jim, personally I would go with the existing VM. There is really no point in dedicated proxy when we are talking about only 1 VM to process. Besides, given your WAN link bandwidth, the load from backup proxy component will be close to zero anyway. Thanks!