Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kyleh
Novice
Liked: never

Windows Storage Replica - Back up destination?

Post by kyleh »

Hello all,

I am trying to back up the destination volume of a Windows Storage Replica setup (server-to-server, no clustering). Per Microsoft's documentation you can bring a read-only copy of the remote volume online so that it can be backed up, but whether I do that or not VAW recognizes it as a storage replication configuration and excludes it altogether.

I've tried volume and file based backups. Is there another method or configuration that I should be using or can I only back up the source with VAW?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Windows Storage Replica - Back up destination?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I assume, that it is an expected limitation similar to this one

Just to clarify: you are using the Mount-SRDestination command?

Best regards,
Hannes
kyleh
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Windows Storage Replica - Back up destination?

Post by kyleh »

That is correct, I am using Mount-SRDestination and attempting to back up the mounted destination with VAW. If VAW can't do it, I would be curious to know how Microsoft envisioned Mount-SRDestination to be used for backups. Not an answer I expect here, just thinking out loud :).

The overall objective is to avoid backing up across our WAN since the data we want to back up has already been replicated to the remote site (where we would like the backup data to live) via Storage Replica.

Outside of backups, the use case is more or less a vanilla Windows file server in site A, replicated synchronously to site B. If site A fails it's a simple matter to bring that volume online at site B, which should be consistent up to the point of failure, and recreate the shares.