Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Veeam server at DR site.

Post by vmtech123 » 1 person likes this post

Is this in a roadmap for the future?

It would be great to have a secondary Veaam server at the DR site incase of a disaster. We have SQL enterprise licenses so if we are using full SQL and Always ON, the database should be ok. SRM is another thing we run and I could possibly add the Veaam server there. My main concerns are the DB, and a copy of the config which is offloaded to a remote datastore as well.

It would be really cool if you could just install a "Secondary" server that Veaam could replicate the config to every so often to save having to do a full windows install and restore a config. I don't even care if it is a few minutes behind.

I'd prefer to not have to move my Veeam server and DB server to the DR site either. If THAT link goes down I am also in a bad spot.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam server at DR site.

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I believe it's a great idea! However, we don't have enough requests so far and it's difficult to decide on the feasibility to add such a feature to our roadmap. Today, you can back up the configuration and restore it on the "spare" server in case of disaster.

Also, we recommend to deploy the backup server on DR site and orchestrate all backup and restore tasks from it. If the link is down, you can restore configuration on production site.

Thanks!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

How about if there is a secondary VBR and SQL server and you restore the configuration to it. Can you have that Veeam setup connecting (not starting any backup/restore sessions) to the repository and proxy servers at the same time the primary server is using those for backup and restores?

What I'm getting at, is those few minutes lag that would be acceptable. If you can have this standby server running idle with new configuration backup restored it's kind of ad-hoc syncronized secondary.

Regards,
Jóhannes
balma01
Certified Trainer
Liked: 5 times

Post by balma01 »

Hi
what about replicating the VBR server to the DR site using VBR? Then you can power on it from the vSphere client and you can failover all the others VMs from it. Am I wrong?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

This approach will also work, it's just simpler to have single backup server deployed at DR site and manage everything from it - no need to replicate or failover something in case of DR. Thanks!
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

Having a little bit more robust "HA" between sites would be a great addition imo.

At the very least, adding support for multi-subnet failover in the connection strings to support Always On databases replicated to other locations would be a nice start.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect