Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
MoranJ2000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joseph Moran

Disabling Remote UAC for VBR

Post by MoranJ2000 »

I'm backing up some physical endpoints that are not domain clients, so I have to authenticate using the local admin account.

I'd been unable to get this to work until someone at Veeam Technical Support advised me that it was necessary to disable remote UAC on each endpoint via the Registry per: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/troubl ... estriction.

So I did that, and now my backups are working now, which is great.

But if I'm being honest, having to disable remote UAC doesn't sit right with me-- it seems like doing so opens up a security hole that could allow some malicious program to easier access to my endpoints as local admin.

Is there a better/more secure way to get VBR to work in this scenario? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Disabling Remote UAC for VBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
whether "better" depends on the scenario. I would have a look at the "Computers with pre-installed agent" aka "catch-all protection groups" whether they fit your needs.

Best regards,
Hannes
olegm
Lurker
Full Name: Oleg M.

Post by olegm »

Hello, if you need to backup desktop client (i.e. Windows 10 ) and don't want to disable remote UAC, the option is to enable built-in Administrator account which is disabled by default. Use lusrmgr.msc. VBR can add PC to Protection Group with this credentials without Registry editing need. BR, Oleg.
MoranJ2000
Influencer
Full Name: Joseph Moran

Post by MoranJ2000 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post two months later-- I believe your proposed solution is exactly what I was looking for.