Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
illITerate
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: F E

Veeam Agent Laptop Backup

Post by illITerate »

Hi everyone, I have an interesting use case:
Laptop backup with Veeam Agents.
Our backup repository servers for our server infrastructure are located at datacenters. We want to have the backups in our datacenters.
The notebooks are used at home or in smaller offices, where we don't have a backup infrastructure.

I tried to back up the client's over WAN. Unfortunately, the performance of the client was horrible during backup, and backup eventually timed out, even though it showed around 100 Mbit/s.

My second idea was backing up to the local disks of the clients. The performance was awesome! The impact to the client's performance was not noticeable.

The conclusion: I want to perform local backups, and sent them to our datacenters with a backup copy job.

Is this possible? I would have to add the local directories as backup repositories? Does someone have a better idea?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Agent Laptop Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
I would have to add the local directories as backup repositories?
that's the only way for backup copy jobs. But I think that's unrealistic with notebooks.

Sure, with 100Mbit/s upload, it takes some time (depends on the amount of data). I don't know how your setup was (VPN?) which might have limited the transfer speed even more. How many days did the job run before it timed out?

Best regards,
Hannes
illITerate
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: F E

Post by illITerate »

Hi Hannes,

thank you;)

Indeed, the VPN connection may have caused problems.
The timeouts/errors happened after 20-30 minutes, for the first run after one hour, and after 20-30 GB were transferred. I can post the error message once I am in the office today.

I really like the idea of local backups + backup copy. With so many people working from home office today, this could be a needed feature... What do you think?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

we have plans to allow direct backup to object storage. I assume storing backups at a hyperscaler is more the future than setting up hundreds of backup copy jobs.

for error messages: only via support please. guessing on a forum makes little sense.