Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
cmanrique
Novice
Liked: never

Issue pushing SOBR contents to Capacity Tier

Post by cmanrique »

A few weeks ago I had to change the host from which my VMs were doing their backups from, besides that, the backup job was not changed. The job is part of an SOBR and the SOBR is supposed to push its contents to the capacity tier (Amazon) whenever the file is older than 28 days. However, now I have 34 restore points instead of the expected 28 that are still on-disk - 20 from before the change was made and 14 more since the change was made. I would like those 20 from before to start pushing to capacity tier as it was before, but for some reason they are not doing so. The job has not been pushing to the capacity tier since I made that change, and I can't manually move them, I guess because the chain is still considered active (I think?), even though a full backup was made on the day the change was made. How can I make it so the SOBR starts pushing to capacity tier again? The backups are quickly filling all my available disk space.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Issue pushing SOBR contents to Capacity Tier

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
can you maybe describe more what you mean with "changed host"? That might be relevant

Older than 28 days... depends on when the full happened and how often they are done, but up to 35 days (28+7) would be okay with weekly fulls. As you already mentioned, the chain could still be active.

Which backup retention do you have? When do you generate full backups?

Best regards,
Hannes
cmanrique
Novice

Post by cmanrique »

By changing hosts I mean, I went to Edit the Backup Job and went to the Virtual Machines tab, and changed where the VMs were selected from, so instead of it being from Host A I removed those and re-added the same ones from Host B.

As for the 35 days, yes, I can check to see if between the next two days the issue has resolved itself. But the most recent full backup happened on 7/23 when I made the change described above.

The job automatically creates an active full backup on the first Friday of every month, the backup mode is set to incremental.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

sounds like there is no VCenter involved / standalone hosts... so the VM probably got a new ID because of that. That means a new backup chain,

With only monthly active full, it would be 30+28 days. I suggest to switch to a lower value than 28.
cmanrique
Novice

Post by cmanrique »

Yes, it used to be selected from the VCenter but then we had issues with the certificate from it, so I switched it to be selected from a host instead. If I switch it to a lower value now, when could I switch it back to the original value while maintaining similar disk space usage as before?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

by going away from VCenter you created an entirely new backup chain. If you like more details, search the forums for MoRefID. VBR is using an ID for backup instead of the VM name. Because VM names can change, but the MoRefID stays the same. If you removed VCenter completely, then the old backups should be in Backups -> "Disk (orphaned)". There they should stay forever.

If you added the ESXi host additionally to VBR (while VCenter is still present), then I can only guess what happens. That scenario is not recommended and I can only recommend to clean up the setup with help of support. Meaning that the certificate issue gets resolved and the software is configured in a way it was designed.
cmanrique
Novice

Post by cmanrique »

Ok yes, that's what I assumed happened, that a new backup chain was created. If so, then why wasn't the previous backup chain made inactive and start being sent to capacity tier or let me manually move them there?

Since we have fixed the certificate issue, we can start choosing the VMs from VCenter again. If I change this setting back to the way it was, will it create yet another backup chain? Or use the backup chain it was previously using?