Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Linux Repository - storage format?

Post by bunger »

I am in the process of configuring a Linux server to act as a hardened, immutable repository. The actual backup storage will be USB-attached drive ( MyBook Duo ).

Linux is formatted with XFS, but I am not sure if the USB drive should be formatted as NTFS or ?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Linux Repository - storage format?

Post by wishr »

Hi Bill,

You should be able to go straight with XFS with the help of the XFSprogs toolset. Especially, if you'd like to utilize XFS' data size reduction capabilities.

Thanks
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

so also format the USB drive with XFS, correct?

Also, I have my B&R server and the Linux Rep on the same LAN as the production servers. While not absolutely ideal, given that Linux is hardened and will be immutable, that is okay... correct?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Yes, I would format it to XFS.

Regarding the network placement, it's a tough question and the answer mostly depends on the security procedures you are following. In any way, our LHR technology will boost your security posture and help to stay safe against cyberthreats, but I agree that having VBR server and primary immutable storage within the same production infrastructure may not be enough to protect your data from all possible threats. One thing that is definitely missing is an offsite copy of your backups that is also immutable. Please, refer to the most recent blog post about the "3-2-1 rule" for more information.

Thanks
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger » 1 person likes this post

We will also be keeping an offsite copy ( though it won't be immutable )...