Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pititof91
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christophe THOMAS

Upgrade Windows Agent 3.0.2

Post by pititof91 »

moderator: the topic has been split and moved to the appropriate subforum

Hi,

When I am going to upgrade my windows agent from 3.02 to 5, server need reboot after upgarde agent to v5 ?

best regards
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Upgrade VEEAM 11 with linux agent 3.0.2

Post by wishr »

Hi Christophe,

It may require a reboot if some of the underlying components cannot be updated without rebooting the machine.

Thanks
chris2737mcdo
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris McDonnell

Post by chris2737mcdo »

Has anyone made a feature request for an Agent "dry-run" installer to categorically tell you if the server will need a reboot? Not sure if possible but would be so much better than the "it may need a reboot" answer - especially for production servers!
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj » 1 person likes this post

Not sure if possible but would be so much better than the "it may need a reboot" answer - especially for production servers!
I don't think one exists. There are too many considerations to factor in.

First of all the OS itself might be expecting a reboot (e.g. after installing an update, maintenance, etc) and during the agent upgrade, we'd query the default application debugger to check if it is indeed expected.
Then, there are system dependencies that come with the agent that might or might not require a reboot based on their current version (for instance, .NET and others).
Also, Veeam CBT Driver, if being installed, always requires a system reboot.

I think it'd be prudent to rely on the assumption that in most cases a reboot will be required.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Nikolaj is correct. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Upgrade Windows Agent 3.0.2

Post by Dima P. »

v5 does not require .Net updates of any kind (can work with any version installed on the OS starting from 4.5.2). CBT driver for managed jobs (managed by VBR) does not require immediate reboot and can work with older version till reboot is performed at your own convivence. That said, the most of the reboot requirements are 'dictated' by the operating system itself which is detected prior running any agent upgrades. Simply put - we cant install any agent updates unless the system is rebooted.