Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: M.S.

Feature Request / Bug-Fix (ish) - Backups fail after Instant Recovery VMs

Post by BackItUp2020 »

This has happened 3 times for me, with 2 different Veeam versions and I'm surprised I haven't read about it before.

I have had to do an instant recovery a few times, and each time the restore and migration back to production has been successful. The problem occurs during the first backup of this newly restored VM(s). When a backup copy job attempts to copy the VM to the cloud, the job fails with an error like below, indicating it can't find the VM in the cloud repo.
Warning Cannot find migrated local object with old host ID d0cfbcf9-c710-472b-8f7e-ee0b043518be and old object ID vm-11682
-During my first cases and a lot of wasted days I had to delete my entire cloud backup set and reseed. And this took nearly a week which means a week without off-site backups. Unacceptable.
-During my last instant recovery, I opened another case and this time was told that I could work with my cloud provider and copy the VBM file to clean instance, edit the VBM file to remove the reference to vm-11682 (in my case), then copy the VBM file back over to my tenant. This worked well and only resulted in having to reseed this one particular VM within the job rather than the entire set of VMs.

I am desperately requesting a way for Veeam to know when a machine has been recovered and to do whatever it needs to do so that backups can continue without trickery and days of support tickets between Veeam and the provider to get back to normal.

If I'm crazy and there is another way to accomplish this, please let me know.

Happy backups!
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Feature Request / Bug-Fix (ish) - Backups fail after Instant Recovery VMs

Post by ronnmartin61 »

It sounds like you're performing the instant recovery to a new location rather than an instant restore to the original VM location which is registering a brand new VM with a new ID on your virtual infrastructure. If this is the case then this is the expected behavior as we simply "see" a new VM in your environment that did not previously exist...
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast

Post by BackItUp2020 »

Thank you. I have tried both ways I believe. I purposely chose the original location this most recent time to see if that was the difference, but that did not work. Veeam support said that that ID would be newly generated in either case. But wow, having to reseed a backup after a restore or having to get vendors involved to avoid a reseed is quite the work-around. It would be great if there would be a way to map the old VM ID to the new one somehow in the process to avoid this kind of thing. Again, it only happens in the copy job to cloud, the initial backup job to disk works fine.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

BackItUp202,

Welcome to Veeam. I have been there and done that vmware-vsphere-f24/restore-vm-without-b ... 36490.html, technical limitations are brutal. What I have discovered more often than not is that it is not Veeam's fault but more an issue with the technology being utilized. This won't be the first "caveat" you'll run into.

Just wait till you have to deal with VIX. ;)
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast

Post by BackItUp2020 »

Ah, thank you. Glad to see I'm not the only one! (I think?? haha).