Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wttan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: WeeTia

Backup mysql cluster

Post by wttan »

Hi Folks,

Currently, we are running on just one VM that is running mysql.
What we did is backup as a VM, with pre-freeze and post-thaw script to quiesce the VM.

Im seeking some advise for backing up mysql cluster that consists of 3 nodes.

What i understand from our developer is that one of the three mysql nodes will be nominated the master. The master node will be handling the read write requests. Data written will be asynchronously replicated to the other two replica nodes. The replicas will be read only. if the master node goes offline, one of the other node will be nominated as the master.

My thoughts is that Veeam is doing VM level backup.
If i were to treat them as individual VM backup, i am essentially backing up three times the same data.

I could not just backup the master node because the master role can be passed over to the other nodes during fault or maintenance.

Any advise how i should approach this guys?

TIA.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup mysql cluster

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, you can disable per-vm option to achieve deduplication within all data blocks of all VMs, otherwise deduplication works within data of the same VM only. Thus, even if you process all cluster nodes, less free space on repository will be required.

I didn't work with MySQL clusters but I guess that it would be possible to to back up just one of replicas. As far as I undersatand, master and replicas are synchronized so you'll have actual state of data in backup, moreover you save resources on the master node by offloading backup activities to replicas.

Thanks!