Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

S3 Bucket for Immutable backups

Post by stewsie »

HI

I have been testing using an AWS S3 bucket to offload backups to use the immutable feature. The last time the backups ran was back in May and since then I have upgraded Veeam to v11. Yesterday I tried to delete the old backups which have gone past the retention date. I was told that the backups couldn't be deleted until a date in the future as they were still protected. This is not correct. I then checked the S3 configuration in Veeam and when I click Apply I am shown an error message

"Unable to use backup immutability: the compliance mode is not supported".

Nothing had been changed since the S3 repository was created and it was working OK. As far as I can see nothing has changed in AWS and it looks like access is happening using the credentials configured in Veeam as the access date/time for the account in AWS shows the recent activity.

I am able to restore from the AWS S3 bucket which is at least a good thing.

Anyone come across this issue and know how to resolve it?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: S3 Bucket for Immutable backups

Post by wishr »

Hi Paul,

Is the currently defined immutability setting higher than the one you wanted to set? If so, that means that most likely you are using the Compliance mode and in this case, the immutability period cannot be decreased by a user and you should reach out to AWS on this matter.

Please note that regarding technical issues you should reach out to our technical support team directly and post your case ID here (as requested when you click New topic) because without logs analysis we can only be guessing.

Thanks
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Post by stewsie » 1 person likes this post

I hadn't opened a support call as this was only being tested. I may indeed open a support call so I can understand what happened and if there really is a problem

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I was told that the backups couldn't be deleted until a date in the future as they were still protected. This is not correct.
Could you elaborate on this? Were able to delete currently immutable backups?
I then checked the S3 configuration in Veeam and when I click Apply I am shown an error message
Have you enabled immutability on Capacity Tier from the very beginning or after it was created and used for some time?

Also, were Object Lock and Versioning features enabled on the bucket when you created it (on the bucket that you're using as the object storage repository)?

Thanks!