Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
goldstar4
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: gregory filter

Testing VEEAM SOBR Performance & Capacity Tier, Question about Config Database Resync

Post by goldstar4 »

So i have setup Veeam to work with Wasabi for immutability.I have setup SOBR with Capacity Tier copying files from Performance Tier. Everything is moving like it should. I wanted to test restoring from object storage at Wasabi. I thought I would start out by removing some files from .vib files from the local performance tier (local storage). I then rescanned the Wasabi SOBR. A donfiguration database resynchronization started and processed the capacity tier extent. It downloaded the 2 vib files from object storage back in to the performance tier storage. What I noticed is that the files downloaded had the same names as the original incremental files (.vib) the size of the files was considerably less. The original were 6-8 GB. The downloaded ones were both only 10,884 KB.
What causes the difference? I was just trying to get a better understanding.

Is there a better way to test? When restoring I wanted to make sure I was restoring from the backups at Wasabi and not from the performance tier. Should I put the performance tier in maintenance mode and then restore one of the VM on the capacity tier?
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 121 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: Testing VEEAM SOBR Performance & Capacity Tier, Question about Config Database Resync

Post by sfirmes » 1 person likes this post

@goldstar4 putting the performance tier into maintenance mode is the easiest way to force restores to be performed on the capacity tier data.

Hope this helps.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
goldstar4
Influencer

Re: Testing VEEAM SOBR Performance & Capacity Tier, Question about Config Database Resync

Post by goldstar4 »

Thanks Steve!
goldstar4
Influencer

Post by goldstar4 »

Additional info: putting performance tier into maintenance mode allowed restoring selectively from capacity tier.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

goldstar4 wrote: Aug 12, 2021 1:22 pmWhat causes the difference? I was just trying to get a better understanding.
These are stub files containing metadata only. If you want to download the entire files, there's the corresponding option available in the backup settings.