Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Replication Job Failed due to Space

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
I have a replication that's running on a VM which has got 800 GB Thick Disk. I configured the job with Force Thin, but that doesn't convert it to Thin Disk. For the first time, Replication runs fine, but for the second time the replication failed due to size no free space.

What can I do with this dilemma?

Shall I delete the VM from DR VMFS Datastore, increase the VMFS Datastore and re-replicate it again?
Is there any way that I can delete the .VBR job and re-replicate again?
Is there a solution for disk conversion that doesn't convert from Thick to Thin? This happen in this VM for Backup and Replication.

Thanks,
habibalby
Veteran

Re: Replication Job Failed due to Space

Post by habibalby »

support request number: 5162746
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hussain, what do you mean by "For the first time, Replication runs fine"? What was the replica disk type (thin or thick) after this first job run? Kindly please clarify.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
The first time when the backup runs, the destination space was 850GB, "And the Source VMDK file is almost 808GB". This replica is succeeded because of the space available, I give it a limited space as I thought the replication will be as Thin so only the used space 550GB out of 808GB will be replicated. Infact it replicated in full size VMDK source = VMDK at Destination. when the backup runs for second time the free space left on destination VMFS was only 38GB where the .vrb file created almost 53GB. And it failed with no free space.

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I would suggest to continue investigating with support as this behavior seems to be wrong.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Support Reply regarding this disk:

Code: Select all

The type of disk doesn't play a great role to Veeam backup and replication as we are only processing actual data, so if your backups or replicas take a lot of space on the datastore that means that there are a lot of data, not because the disk is thin or thick.

I'm deleting the replica VM and will start over again with 1.3 TB as destination VMFS.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I think that there is a kind of misunderstanding here. The issue actually does not regard to space but is that the disk was not converted to the type it was set to be converted to. As I can see in your thread with the support rep, you have already clarified this.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
Yes, I have clarified this. But the issue started is when the disk is not being converted during backup / replication. If the disk is 800GB and used space is 500GB, the replication should replicate only 500GB because the job set to Force Thin. If this option doesn't work in some criteria, replication source size the same as destination size for sure the job will fail. If the conversion from Thick to Thin works, then this wouldn't happen either something wrong with the VMDK file or the Veeam Backup & Replication misleading in some cases.

For the same VM, when I run Backup compression doesn't work at all. 800GB VMDK ending up with 786GB .vbk veeam file :)

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Btw, have you checked the target disk type in case of replication using VM settings in vSphere client?
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

The target disk in the target vmfs datastore is same size as source. and VM settings in vSphere client shows as Thick Disk.

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please continue to work with support, maybe a webex session is required here. We've just confirmed in our lab that the disk is converted to thin during the first job run.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Most of my VMs are converted from Thick to Thin, The issue is only with this particular VM and other Mail Server that have vRDM Disks I have already support case for that as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

habibalby wrote:The issue is only with this particular VM and other Mail Server that have vRDM Disks
Well, that explains.