Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
krowczynski
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Arkadiusz Krowczynski

Problems with Datawarehouse after Update

Post by krowczynski »

Hi everybody,

after installing the new MP on my SCOM my Datawarehose is not running and I get this message.

Warnungsbeschreibung: Data Warehouse hat Datenbankkomponente nicht bereitgestellt. Fehler beim Bereitstellen der Data Warehouse-Komponente. Der Vorgang wird wiederholt.
Ausnahme 'DeploymentException': Failed to perform Data Warehouse component deployment operation: Install; Component: Script, Id: '8b92ed37-cc96-52a5-9ae1-e6c3dd6103c2', Management Pack Version-dependent Id: '6a18f383-061c-e570-9b23-59cc5406f4ff'; Target: Database, Server name: 'XXX', Database name: 'OperationsManagerDW'. Batch ordinal: 11; Exception: Ein Sortierungskonflikt zwischen "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" und "Latin1_General_CI_AS" im equal to-Vorgang kann nicht aufgelöst werden.

It is in German, but there seems to be an issue with the MP.
I am running an SQL Server 2005 64Bit wit SP4 installed.

I haven't got this isse with the version of nworks 5.6

Please help
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Re: Problems with Datawarehouse after Update

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Hello Arkadiusz,

It looks like you've run into an issue while using non-default collation configuration in your particular scenario.

Please take a look at this document - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... spx?ppud=4. See requirements for Operations Manager Operations database in "Supported Software Requirements for Operations Manager 2007" section.
I've also found a KB article which describes the problem a bit more - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958979.

Finally, I'd recommend that you contact our support team to investigate this behavior more closely, as it is hard to troubleshoot this issue via forum.

Feel free to post your support case's number here or send it to me privately, so I'm able to get involved into support process on this matter.

Thanks!
krowczynski
Enthusiast
Full Name: Arkadiusz Krowczynski

Post by krowczynski »

Hi,

the casenumber is 5162589, and as I wrote down this issue was not with MP 5.6.
The databases were not modified, maybe you can check this in your lab?
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Thanks for your follow-up Arkadiusz.

I'll take a look at your case and assist our engineers at support, as this issue is really strange and should not occur during upgrade procedure.
I will update this thread once we get any investigation results on this matter.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Posting an update here for Arkadiusz and other customers -

This is definitely an issue with the configuration of SQL server where Ops Mgr is installed.

It's not an nworks issue - although our updates to Reports in 5.7.have exposed it. Note - You would see the same issue if you imported Microsoft's own Exchange 2010 Management Pack.

Any customers experiencing this should contact our support, but also their Microsoft support contact.

Please see here for a great article on how to resolve this from Marnix Wolf - http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/20 ... house.html.
The fix is not simple, and involves backup Ops Mgr Db(s), reinstall SQL, and restore Ops Mgr Dbs. But it is best to take this path now, because anyone with this error has an officially unsupported (by Microsoft) configuration for Ops Mgr. And the error could occur with any MP update in future, from Microsoft or another vendor.

Veeam of course will stay engaged to assist any of our customers who encounter this issue. Any questions please post in our forum, or contact our excellent Support team!

Thanks,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

For future readers, there is a KB article available at Veeam.com on this matter - http://www.veeam.com/kb1465

I should let you guys know that this particular error did not appear in earlier versions of nworks because nworks did not use full SCOM reporting capabilities. Since nworks v5.7, we have made a lot of changes and shipped new reporting features that use a wider range of SCOM reporting capabilities. Due to this fact, collation misconfiguration can cause errors that did not occur in previous versions of nworks.

- VM.
PinkyDMT
Novice
Full Name: Thomas Peter

Post by PinkyDMT »

Hi,

Microsoft has updated the list of supported SQL Collations for SCOM:

We have recently updated the documentation to add support for the following additional collations for SCOM:
Language Collation
English SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
English (new) Latin1_General_CI_AS
English (new) Latin1_General_100_CI_AS
French (new) French_CI_AS
German, Brazil (Portugese), Italian (new) Latin1_General_CI_AS
Russian (new) Cyrillic_General_CI_AS
Chinese CHS (new) Chinese_PRC_CI_AS
Japanese (new) Japanese_CI_AS
Spanish (new) Traditional_Spanish_CI_AS

(taken from http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanag ... -2012.aspx)

Do you plan to support this in the next version of the nworks mp too?

I'm currently facing the problem described in this thread because the customer uses the collation Latin1_General_CI_AS.
Regards
Thomas
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hi Thomas,

We are working with Microsoft right now on the issue of SQL collation support - the situation is still not entirely clear. For example the blog post mentions 'all databases must be the same collation'. But it is impossible to install SCOM in this way. The Warehouse DB always installs with SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, whatever the underlying SQL collation. We tested the various new collations in that blog post, but we still had issues with report deployment.

latest quote we have from MS is "For now the safe thing to do is use SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS only". We are still working with them and when we have clarification of all supported collation scenarios, we'll update our docs (and this thread!). Microsoft will also be updating that blog post, so please watch that too.

Cheers
Alec
lkpsystemtech
Lurker
Full Name: Lars Krogh

Post by lkpsystemtech »

Hi,

Has this been solved?
I have the same problem at a customers site right now!

/Lars Krogh
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hi Lars,

Sorry, only saw your post right now.

There is nothing here that Veeam can 'solve' - this is an Ops Mgr issue. If customer has installed SCOM without using the SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation - then they are in unsupported state. That means unsupported by Microsoft.

For the latest info on this please see this Microsoft blog post - http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanag ... -2012.aspx
Note the post has been updated recently to clarify, that the Ops Mgr database and the OM Data warehouse database must have the same collation.