Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
hla123
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Larsson

Hyper-V and Veeam backup and replication problems.

Post by hla123 »

Hi, we recently implemented Veeam v6 on our customers Hyper-V environment. We experienced the two following issues:
1. Slow backups from either of the CSV V Hyper-V hosts connected to a Dell MD3220i SAN. About 1 MB/s!!. Our file copies from a CSV volume to backup disk measured 100-150 MB/s and on the LAN 30-40 MB/s. The backup job states "source" as bottleneck.
2. We have a third Hyper-V host acting as a replication partner and the backup server (Veeam is installed on this server). When we add the host to Veeam console the installation fails with a warning. The other hosts went fine. When we look at installed programs it seems like all three components is installed. When we try to replicate to this host, we get an error message: Unable to Connect Hyper-V. User credentials cannot be used for local connections. Simular to this kb: http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/KB1362

Regards,
Henrik
xitrus barnkläder
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Hyper-V and Veeam backup and replication problems.

Post by Gostev »

Hi Henrik,
1. Are you using on-host or off-host backup? Hardware or Software VSS provider? Bottleneck being source clearly identifies issue with source data retrieval performance.
2. It is not currently supported to install Veeam Backup server on the protected Hyper-V, but we are planning to remove this limitation in the next update.
Thanks!
hla123
Influencer
Full Name: Henrik Larsson

Post by hla123 »

Hi!
1. We are using on-host backup. We have the hardware providers from Dell (Dell MD3220i) installed on the host but Im not sure its using it. I will check this. Is MD3220i supported hardware provider?!
2. Sorry to hear. Is it the next major update or a smaller update (hotfix etc). What is our choise?! Can we install Veeam as a VM in our Hyper-V environment?!

Regards,
Henrik
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

1. Any hardware VSS provider that is certified by Microsoft is supported. Anyway, its strange that you have this issue given that you do on-host backup. Could you please open a support case to let our technical staff get a closer look.
2. This has not been decided yet. Sure, you can install Veeam server in a VM.
dmb1331
Lurker
Full Name: Damien Bush

Post by dmb1331 »

Hi,

Just wondering was there a result for this one I have installed on stand aloan hyper-v host same issues?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Damien, it is not clear what issue you're having. Could you please clarify? On top of that, please remember that all technical issues can only be troubleshoot effectively by our support team and not via these forums. Thanks!
taner
Lurker
Full Name: Taner Sagcan

Post by taner »

Hi!
I have a Question about "Install Veeam" on a "Standby HyperVR2 Host". Is it correct that isnt supported? We have a same issue.
Two HyperV hosts, standalone, no cluster and scvmm. Would to Replicate each VM on Node 1 to Node 2. Veeam 6 is installed on Node 2.

Thx and Br
taner
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Currently you can install Veeam B&R console on the standalone Hyper-V server but you cannot protect such server with Veeam B&R (i.e. use it as backup or replication source/target - you simply cannot add it to Veeam UI). You can use it as management console only.
jorgene
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Post by jorgene »

Foggy:

Will that feature be available in the future ? Running Veeam B&R on a standalone Hyper-V server and protect that hosts running virtual machines.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Most likely, in the next update (as stated above).
phil75
Novice
Full Name: Filippo

install veeam backup server on hyper-v host

Post by phil75 »

[merged]

hi Everybody!

we had the following scenario: we had a small company with a stand alone ms hyper-v server in which there are 4 vm running: 1 dc, 2 exchange, oracle server, and an old win 2000 server. We would like to install veeam server on the hyper-v host and backup vms to an external nas through iscsi protocol. So we had installed the veeam backup server in the hyper-v server. After completed the setup the had tried to use the wizard to connect to an hyper-v server, and discover the hosted vm in order to backup them. The problem is veeam wan't connect to itself: when in the wizard i choose to connect to a stand alone hyper-v server and I insert the ip address and the credentials to connect to , an error message appears: wmi can't use credentials to local connection.. but if i tried to leave blank credentians the "next" button remain gray so i can't go on on wizard.
We had created a test dedicate vm and we had installed the veeam backup server again... this time We haven't found any problems and we had created a simple backup job.
So my question is: is it possible to install veeam backup server on the the hyper-v server? we wouldn't like to create another vm and wasting ms licence, space and so on..
Thanks again
c.a.
Lurker

Post by c.a. »

I am having the same problem. Not being able to install Veeam on the Hyper-V server must be a very common and fatal limitation for many small business and consultant/test environments. I don't have the extra Windows Server license or hardware capacity to set up a server VM just for Veeam. The error message is cryptic and only came after I wasted a couple of days researching the product, getting the license, finding and setting up a cloud replication mechanism, etc., etc.

Until this issue is addressed, it really should be documented: as a system requirement in the product data sheet; in the product release notes; in the product's Help; in your KB article about the WMI error message (it says that Microsoft System Center with VMM is required! I almost wasted more time installing that before Google brought up this forum topic); in the list of known v.6 issues; and in a pre-requisite check at the start of the setup program. Thanks. I would definitely reconsider VBR when this is fixed.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

A simple workaround for the "very small/consultant/test" environment is to simply install Veeam on one of the existing VMs in your Hyper-V environment. The Hyper-V hosts can then be added and will be used to perform the actual backups. You could also stand up a very small Windows XP VM to install the Veeam server into. We don't require a Windows Server platform and can run fine on the desktop products which, while also not ideal, can be generally purchased for much less than a server license.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

c.a. wrote:Until this issue is addressed, it really should be documented: as a system requirement in the product data sheet; in the product release notes; in the product's Help; in your KB article about the WMI error message (it says that Microsoft System Center with VMM is required! I almost wasted more time installing that before Google brought up this forum topic); in the list of known v.6 issues; and in a pre-requisite check at the start of the setup program. Thanks. I would definitely reconsider VBR when this is fixed.
In fact, the issue was already addressed at the time when you wrote this post... if you had a support case open, you would have received the required patch.