Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adamspiteri
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Spiteri

Replication fails to a remote proxy

Post by adamspiteri »

I have a VBR6 server that needs to replicate to a remote site over a VPN that uses NAT because of duplicate IP addresses at each site.I can reach the vCenter server at the site and replication works if I use defaults for the data transfer settings the replication will be successful. The transfer runs at 4MB/s max and the bottleneck shows up as the target. If I select a VM for the proxy at the remote site to use hot add to write to the SAN, the job fails. I have a support ticket open 5162972. The job log looks like the proxy is trying to connect to the local IP address of the VBR server instead of through NAT. I get the same errors when I try to configure a repository at the remote site. Any suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication fails to a remote proxy

Post by foggy »

Adam, with your current addressing scheme (duplicate addresses in both sites), you cannot use proxy in target site. Try to make the following:

- Create second subnet with different mask in source site;
- Place Veeam backup server to this new subnet;
- Configure routing in source site between these two subnets.

In this case, backup server will provide its new address (that does not exist in the target site address pool) to the target proxy agent and packets destined for backup server will be routed to the source site. Hope this helps.
adamspiteri
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Spiteri

Post by adamspiteri »

Thanks for your answer Foggy. There's a checkbox in the transport? section to "Run server on this side", that is supposed to allow for NAT operation. That is designed for a different situation?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This checkbox is currently only used for agent-based file transfers within the Servers tree (FastSCP functionality).