Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
spider32
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alexander Martinez

Partially Delete Backup Images

Post by spider32 »

Hi Guys! Looking for a way to delete just part of our backup images. For example, we have 21 restore points (3 weeks). Each week we have a full backup. So for that 21 restore points, I want to delete the oldest vbk and its succeeding vibs. I can do this manually, copy the path and do manual deletion but this seems to be not desirable if I have to do it for multiple VMs.

Is there a way in the UI to say just highlight, for example, the images I want deleted? The only option I see is "Delete from Disk" but this deletes everything.

Thanks much and appreciate your knowledge share.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Partially Delete Backup Images

Post by PetrM »

Hi Alexander,

You may change retention policy settings to 14 restore points and the obsolete backup chain will be deleted right after the next job run.

Thanks!
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 »

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. We were doing NSX/vCenter migration so I had to re-add the VMs that were migrated and removed those VMs from the old environment. So the backup jobs basically contain the "new' VMs. Changing the retention period will not affect the old backup images. Need to find a way to delete these old images more efficiently for the number of VMs involved.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Alexander,

In this case, just enable retention policy for deleted items and you're good to go.

Thanks!
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 »

Appreciate the tip. This setting would delete all the backup images, right? For example, I have like 3 weeks of images but I just want to delete the oldest week. Just need to know if I can do gradual deletion.

If ever, I think I just have to bite the bullet and delete manually the old images, rescan, and forget. Thanks again for the suggestion.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alexander,

Yes, it deletes all backup images, currently the gradual deletion is not possible.

Thanks!