Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ameliorate
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ace Bailey

Migrate Agent backups from UCS/Windows repo to Linux immutable repo

Post by ameliorate »

Good afternoon,

In Veeam 11, I would like to migrate existing Agent for Windows 5.0 backups from a Windows-based on-prem repository to a new Linux on-prem immutable repo. No backups have been taken to the Linux repo yet.

KB2321 discusses changing the path in a Windows to Windows repo migration, and I'm looking specifically at scenario 2 because I want to move to a different repo on a different server.

In the example for scenario 2, if the original location is named C:\Backup and the account is named user1 and the domain is DOMAIN1, the article discusses creating a new path called C:\Backup\DOMAIN1_user1\BackupJob1.

I'm not sure how Domain applies in Linux, since my Linux server is not on the domain.

1. If the original path on the Windows repo is C:\Repo1\Backups\DOMAIN_veeam_service\Backup_Job_SQLSERVER and the Linux repo is mounted as /vhlrepo does it matter what I call the subfolders or should I use 'Backup_Job_SQLSERVER'?

2. Can I just robocopy the files over?

3. Is anything different with mapping to the Linux repo, or can I just change it in the Agent 5.0 settings and set to the subfolder path?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migrate Agent backups from UCS/Windows repo to Linux immutable repo

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2321 is for
KB2321 wrote: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows operating in the standalone mode:
With SQL, I assume that you use managed mode. That means https://www.veeam.com/kb1729 is relevant. And it's just copy & paste, rescan, change backup job (press "map backups" button) and done.

Best regards,
Hannes
ameliorate
Novice

Post by ameliorate »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

We are actually operating in standalone mode, eg the Veeam Agent is installed directly on the servers (a physical 2 node failover cluster.) I perhaps should have clarified that we do volume level backups of the OS C: drive and another drive, K: where the SQLDUMPS are kept. We are not doing any application-aware SQL backups using Veeam, only the dumps created by SSMS.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

ok, then KB2321 is fine. The operating system of the repository server is irrelevant. I'm not sure how robocopy can copy to Linux, but yes, you can use any tool that can do "copy".
ameliorate
Novice

Post by ameliorate »

Ah, excellent, I will give it a try and then report back. Thanks.