Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
andoven
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aubrey Truex

Windows server 2008 R2 to HDS AMS1000 SAN

Post by andoven »

We are in an eval stage for Veeam Backup & Replication v6. We want to setup backups directly over the SAN. Other backup methods work fine. The VMware FAQ says to use VCB to setup SAN connectivity, but the user guide says VCB is not supported in v6, and to use VADP. VADP documentation says there is nothing to install, and that Veeam already supports it. So ...

On our Server 2008 R2 physical server, we have Veeam Backup & Replication 6 installed. We have a 2 port Emulex HBA attached, with one port cabled into our FC switch. I have setup zoning so that the HBA can see the LUNs that are defined in our HDS AMS1000 SAN unit.

When I go to my 2008 server, and start the Server Manager application, there is a Storage -> Server Manager for SANs section. When I click on LUN management, it says it is unable to find the Virtual disk service or any VDS hardware provider installed. When I type diskraid from dos, I get an error about no VDS hardware provider.

I contacted Hitachi, and they don't know anything about a VDS hardware provider. When I click on Storage -> Disk Management, there are no HDS LUNs listed.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Windows server 2008 R2 to SAN

Post by Gostev »

andoven wrote:The VMware FAQ says to use VCB to setup SAN connectivity
Huh? Where did you find that in our VMware FAQ?

Frankly, I have no idea what the "VDS provider" is either. From Veeam B&R perspective, all you need to do is ensure that your VMFS LUNs are seen in the Disk Management snap-in on your backup proxy server. I cannot believe Hitachi support cannot guide you through this - because how are you supposed to use their SAN anyway, if not by mounting its LUNs to some server?
andoven
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aubrey Truex

Re: Windows server 2008 R2 to HDS AMS1000 SAN

Post by andoven »

The VMware FAQ says that to configure Veeam to use a SAN to go to this URL Configuring new VEEAM Backup Server for SAN, where your entry on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:38 am says to install VCB framework. Since I've never done this before, I was just trying to do my homework before I posted. I will go back to Hitachi and see if they have any more suggestions.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Windows server 2008 R2 to HDS AMS1000 SAN

Post by Gostev »

OK, this is what happens when you pull stuff out of context ;) if you read the very next sentence, this post is explaining how to obtain vcbsandbg.exe utility for troubleshooting purposes. Actual configuration of Veeam server for direct SAN access is explained in the first response to the topic, and you don't need to read further than that. Let us know how it goes! Thanks.