Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jmajb
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request: Capacity and Free space for object storage

Post by jmajb »

Hello,

I should like to propose a Feature Request:
Add to Veeam Backup & Replication console the information on the Capacity and Free space on object storage repositories listed in the 'Backup Repositories' view. Currently, both fields are marked as N/A.
At the moment, Only Used Space is shown and, if you do not know what the capacity is, you do not know when the repository is full. So, adding these values would be very useful, if not essential.
Thanks!

- Jac
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2273 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Feature Request: Capacity and Free space for object storage

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

You will get "free space" and "capacity" infos, as soon you configure the "Limit object storage consumption" option.
I don't think, an object storage will expose this information over the s3 protocol.

Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jmajb
Novice

Post by jmajb »

Hello,

On the MinIO forum someone poses the question 'It is possible to get the free space of a MinIO instance?' and answers it himself with 'Okay i think this is the api i search. https://github.com/minio/minio/blob/mas ... /README.md'
The page refers to the metrics that are exposed: https://github.com/minio/minio/blob/mas ... us/list.md and you see there is capacity and well as free space information.
The forum post: https://github.com/minio/minio/issues/8789
This information could not be used by Veeam too?

- Jac
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

This basically means integrating with a bunch of different object storage devices directly... not a great idea because it introduces a long term QC/Support overhead and does not scale.
jmajb
Novice

Post by jmajb »

Hello,

If you have a better solution, it would be great. But I am not happy with the current workaround as suggested by Mildor, because it leaves too much room for error. This, for one reason, because I did not find a way to get the capacity and free space information through the MinIO interface itself.
Of course, you could always try to go to a uniform interface for Veeam with object storage solutions, with the help of the software makers. And, at the moment, not that many solution suppliers who are certified for Object with Immutability. According to the list, there are only 10 solution suppliers.
A better solution than the one currently available would be very much appreciated.

- Jac
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As Anton's said, such enhancement would require additional development cycles spent on custom integration with various object storage devices, which APIs are known for not having universal pattern. So currently we are not planning on this move. Thank you for your understanding.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

jmajb wrote: Aug 31, 2021 11:50 amOf course, you could always try to go to a uniform interface for Veeam with object storage solutions, with the help of the software makers.
Right, this approach worked extremely well for us with primary storage arrays with our Universal Storage API which is now highly adopted by all leading storage vendors, so I can see our object storage integrations going the same way.
jmajb
Novice

Post by jmajb »

Thanks, Gostev, for the remark. I have send it to MinIO. I hope they reply.

- Jac
jmajb
Novice

Post by jmajb »

I have contacted MinIO and they are interested in implementing the Universal Storage API. Is there someone they can contact at Veeam about this?

- Jac
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Good to know! Such API does not exist yet for object storage, it is only available for primary storage at this time.
jmajb
Novice

Post by jmajb »

So the Universal Storage API is not as universal as the name sounds. Could it be extended for object storage, maybe?
What would be the way forward, Gostev? Is there someone at Veeam for MinIO to talk about this?
Thanks!

- Jac
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

USAPI cannot be extended to object storage, because it was specifically designed for integrating with block storage (and its native snapshots). Whereas object storage is a whole different universe... there's literally not one thing that is similar between block and object.

So at this time, there's really nothing for us to talk about with MinIO. However, if we ever implement such an extended API for object storage integration in future, we will for sure make MinIO aware of its availability, as they are our existing technology alliance partner for object storage.

Thanks!
jmajb
Novice

Post by jmajb »

There are already a number of object storage providers supported. Would it not be a good time to put it on the Veeam road map? Or is it already on it?

- Jac
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In general, we prioritize features in particular based on the number of requests. And you are literally the first to request this functionality in all years since we added object storage support to our product. On the other hand, we have dozens of other pending features backed by hundreds of requests... so these will of course be given the priority of course.