Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

SAP HANA - Repository in VBR

Post by johannesk »

hi,

We are designing a backup setup of a SAP HANA system in our VBR infrastructure. I understand that the the SAP module needs to access the repository and the access needs to be configured in VBR on the corresponding repository. Also that backup files generated by the SAP HANA module, cant use the fast clone feature of ReFS.

But I wonder why not backup the SAP HANA system to the existing SOBR. In the documentation it is not recommended, but not explained why.

"It is recommended to use a separate backup repository for Veeam Plug-in backups."
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Can anyone explain why that would not be recommended? Will that cause any problems?

Regards,
Johannes
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SAP HANA - Repository in VBR

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Johannes,

The main purpose of this recommendation is to avoid potential issues related to waiting for available repository task slots and repository overload during backup. If you are sure that your existing SOBR has enough resources to maintain the required number of slots for plug-in and image-level backup jobs together, then I wouldn't expect any issues and you're good to go with the existing SOBR.

Thanks!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Re: SAP HANA - Repository in VBR

Post by johannesk » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Petr for the reassurance.