Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
badams
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bert Adams

Application Aware Processing and VSS

Post by badams »

Hi Veeam users,

I won't go into my frustration with Microsoft and my ticket on VSS. Suffice it to say that their way of fixing the inability to make a checkpoint and errors with VSS is all Veeam's problem. I suppose that leaves me with reinstalling my Windows Server OS for my Hyper-V or possibly doing a repair using my install CD.

Anyway, since running the backup with Application-Aware Processing enable results in the failure of the backup, the only way to run it is with it disabled. I believe my only application that would be affected by it would be SQL Express 2012. I have some idea what the VSS writer should be doing for SQL. My guess is how bad is it to run the backups without this enabled. I have an idea, but I am too much of a novice to even guess here.

Thank you for your help.

Bert
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Application Aware Processing and VSS

Post by Mildur »

If you have an issue with application aware processing, you could open a veeam support case (it‘s neccessary too when posting about technical issues in the forums).
If it‘s a known issue, veeam could give you a hint what to do. Or they have a kb to help you.

Backup windows without vss is always a bad idea.
There are many small application which are should be backup with the vss Integration. Like the windows registry or dhcp servers config database.

Can you create manually a snapshot on the hyperv? Does that work? It uses vss too. I always see, if vss would work on it‘s own without to use veeam.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Application Aware Processing and VSS

Post by PetrM »

Hello,
badams wrote:errors with VSS is all Veeam's problem
I'm curios to know on what grounds this statement could be justified? The creation of checkpoint is managed at the level of the hypervisor while backup application plays a role of requestor. So far, it's unclear which part of Veeam logic could trigger a failure of some low-level operation performed by VSS.

Please don't forget to share a support case ID with us, probably it should be investigated with Veeam and Microsoft teams together. In addition to what Fabian suggested, I'd recommend to examine System and Application event logs on the guest and on the Hyper-V host itself, it might help to isolate the issue.

Thanks!