Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
keebs
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Kuebler

Understanding Proxy use and operating systems

Post by keebs »

I am a newbie to Veeam so I apologize upfront for any newbie questions....

1. The segmentation zones example here:
https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/VBP/Security/H ... Zones.html
places a proxy in the trusted zone. Is this actually for performance reasons or, as I understand it, is this also for security reasons to keep the backup data between the Trusted and Restricted zones and away from the management zone?

2. I understand Veeam supports Windows and Linux proxies. That said, in VBR v11, if I try to add a "Backup Proxy", the next window states "You can choose between any Microsoft Windows Servers added to the Managed Servers which are not such role already" which leads me to believe they have to be windows servers?

Additionally, on this page (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110), under "Requirements and Limitations for Linux Backup Proxy" states "The disk.EnableUUID parameter of the Linux server must be set to the TRUE value in the VMware vSphere client."

So are linux proxies only an option for VM Ware installations?

Can someone please clarify this for me?

TY
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Understanding Proxy use and operating systems

Post by Gostev »

1. This document is not produced by Veeam R&D so we can't comment... I can only hope one of the authors will notice this thread and share the science behind this statement.

2. You don't really need it backup proxy for Hyper-V at all, as you can just use what is called "on-host backup proxy". It is only needed when you want to do off-host backup, but this works using transportable Microsoft VSS snapshots making Linux proxy impossible even in theory.