Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
merku
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Mercurio

How to migrate the NAS archive to another object storage?

Post by merku »

Hi,
I would like to migrate the data from the object storage that I am using with the NAS backup to another object storage.
Is it possible to do it?
Is there any procedure to do this safely?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to migrate the NAS archive to another object storage?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello merku,

You can move the entire nas backup archive folder from one object storage to another (before doing that please make that you've changed the archive repository in the job properties). Please keep in mind that its not possible to map the moved archive to the backup job, so a new archive will be created during the next job run. The old archive will be displayed under imported node, so file level recovery is still possible. Cheers!
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku »

Hello,
thank you for your explanation.
Let's see if I understood the steps correctly:

1)Create the new bucket_1(Azure)
2)Configure bucket_1(AZURE) at Veeam level into backup repositories
3)Change the pointing of the archive NAS Backup to the new bucket_1(AZURE)
4)Launch a backup and from that moment on the backups will be stored on bucket_1 (AZURE) (full backup)
5)Create a new bucket_2(AZURE)
6)Manually copy the data from old_bucket(IBM) to new bucket_2(Azure) (to be done outside of Veeam, it seems that it does not allow copying of backups directly with Veeam)
7)Configure the bucket_2 (AZURE) bucket on Veeam and import the data (restore is possible)

Can't copy the bucket with Veeam correct?

Thanks
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb »

Dima P. wrote: Feb 25, 2021 10:47 am Hello merku,

You can move the entire nas backup archive folder from one object storage to another (before doing that please make that you've changed the archive repository in the job properties). Please keep in mind that its not possible to map the moved archive to the backup job, so a new archive will be created during the next job run. The old archive will be displayed under imported node, so file level recovery is still possible. Cheers!
Oh! Feature request ahead! Allow backup mapping where S3 is used as a tiering :)
Dima, does this current limitation apply as well with VM?

Oli
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

merku,
The plan is ok, since we do not provide ability to migrate data from one object storage to another. Interested why you want to proceed with migration, Azure is cheaper than your current object sotrage?

Oli,
Noted for Nas backup! For VM backup it's a bit different - the archive engine is a part of the Scale-Out backup repository while VM back allows to map any backup to the primary job. You need to map archived backups to another job?
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dmitry,
we have some credit to use on Azure and we wanted to use it to save some money.

Thanks
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb »

Dima P. wrote: Feb 26, 2021 7:57 am merku,
The plan is ok, since we do not provide ability to migrate data from one object storage to another. Interested why you want to proceed with migration, Azure is cheaper than your current object sotrage?

Oli,
Noted for Nas backup! For VM backup it's a bit different - the archive engine is a part of the Scale-Out backup repository while VM back allows to map any backup to the primary job. You need to map archived backups to another job?
No, but I bet the question might pop up in a futur where a move from/to on-premise/cloud object storage.

Better be prepare or aware of this fact.

Olivier
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Understood thank you! Here is the Help Center article that explains the process for image-based backups - Migrating Data To Another Capacity Tier. Cheers!
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

[MERGED] Change Archive Repository

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Currently we have configured in the Fileserver Backup Job the archive repository in Azure.
This goes actually up to 10 years.

I would like to change this archive repository to a Blob Storage in Backblaze due to reduced storage costs.

I do not want to loose the backup chain and actually it would be great if the chain could be migrated from Azure to Backblaze.
How can I do this?

When changing the repository to the other one there is an information from Veeam saying:

'You are about to change your archive to the new one. Existing file versions archive will be moved to the Orphaned backups node and can be deleted from there.. Do you wanna change it now?'

So if I understand this correctly I will have it in Veeam on the left under Backups in Imported....
But I do not want it there...I need the chain in Backblaze.
Can this be done somehow?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello Peter,
I merged your question with a question that looks the same to me. Please see above.

Best regards,
Hannes