Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
MNCowboy
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Deniece Greenwood

General Question

Post by MNCowboy »

Running AOS 5.20.1.1, Mine v2, VBR v10.
Daily we get the "Scale-out Backup Repository:" email on space used. This is great except for one thing. It thinks the capacity for each of my 3 Veeam-Lin-Nodes is 384 TB and overall capacity is 1.1 PB. (Oh how I wish!) OK, so I know that is false.

Q1: can I trust the "Used Space" on this report?
Q2: Will/is this fixed in upcoming versions?

Thanks in advance!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: General Question

Post by Mildur »

Q1: can I trust the "Used Space" on this report?
Used Space is not physical used space.
Used Space tells you, how many backups (fulls and increments) are stored on the Performance Extend.
Veeam can not see the XFS space savings and will not tell you the physical space.

Some information (reFS, same behaviour as xfs)

https://www.veeam.com/kb2996
For synthetic full backups with ReFS Fast Clone, backup files will be displayed as full-sized, even though only unique blocks are stored for each full backup file. In such a scenario, it is expected that the size that is shown under the Used Space column is a combined total value of the displayed file sizes in the backup repository.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: General Question

Post by Mildur »

One question, do you have targeted your backup jobs directly to the SOBR? And what system are you using as a production hypervisor? Is it vmware or nutanix AHV?

Because if you would use nutanix ahv backups directly to the sobr, then it would be very strange if used space is higher as physical disk usage. Nutanix backups will not use fastclone and there could be something wrong with the used space.

If it‘s vmware backups to Nutanix Mine with FastClone enabled, then my previous answer should be correct.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software