Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
spider32
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alexander Martinez

VM Proxy Hotadd Configuration

Post by spider32 »

I'm trying to configure a VM to be used as a HotAdd proxy. But for some reason, can't get it to work.

Looks like it meets the requirements as stated in (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110). I have verified that the proxy has access to both vCenter (port 442) and ESXi host (port 443 and 902).

I have done manually adding the base disk vmdk and was able to do so so the VM proxy hotadd should be working (https://www.veeam.com/kb1184?ad=in-text-link). I get the error: Failed to create processing task for VM ABCDVM Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from storage snapshot, and the option to failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled.

I have a case open with support, Case # 04988662.

Appreciate the input. Thanks much.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VM Proxy Hotadd Configuration

Post by Mildur »

Do you have added the vm as a vmware proxy to veeam?
Simply having a vm is not enough. It needs to be configured as a vmware proxy.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Alexander,

Well, if I read it right, isn't your message there about Backup from Storage Snapshots, not hotadd?

It looks more like Veeam is trying to do a Backup from Storage Snapshot but you don't have any proxies that can access the storage directly to mount the snapshot.

If you want hotadd, just force hotadd by following the link Fabian gave and setting the transport mode to Virtual Appliance.

But if you're trying to do direct backups from a storage system like NetApp or Nimble, you need to ensure your proxies have read access via iscsi or fibrechannel to the storage.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

As Harvey stated.

If you want to use HotAdd:
Use Proxy in "Auto" or "Virtual Appliance mode" => Set Failover to backup from VM snapshot to enabled.
This means that no storage snapshot processing is used and just regular Veeam enhanced HotAdd processing.

If you want to use Backup from Storage Snapshot:
Add the Proxy to the iSCSI/FC/NFS network of the storage, so that the Proxy Server can reach the storage (use Physical Server for FibreChannel usage).
Don´t forget to set correct network and FibreChannel Zoning. As well when you use FibreChannel, create a Host entry on the storage for the Proxy.
Follow general guidlines for the storage configuration here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 (and following chappters).
When configured correctly, then it will use the storage snapshots and will mount the storage snapshots directly to the server (not through hotadd).
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 »

@Mildur, yes it is a VM proxy.

@soncscy, yes, I set the VM proxy to just do hotadd, transport mode to Virtual Appliance. I'm not trying to do direct from storage since I don't have a direct connect to the storage system.

@Andreas Neufert, I enabled "Set Failover to backup from VM snapshot". Again, I know I cannot do a direct from storage backup, just need to do a hotadd.

I'm still getting the error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions". I believe the processing mode restrictions in this case means that since I did not enable Failover to Network mode and hotadd is failing, then the job fails, right?

Appreciate all the inputs, hope I can make this work.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Then best way would be to open a support ticket and upload logs. Support can check with you, why the VMs can not be backed up that way.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Also, try to enable "Failover to network mode if primary mode fails, or is unavailable" option in the settings of backup proxy. You may use Network mode as a temporary workaround to process the VM in question because root cause analysis might take a while.

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

As well as you mentioned it, maybe you just enable the setting that prevent the usage of fallback to standard processing. Check Job-Storage-Advanced-Storage
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

By default Veeam checks for storage snapshot possibility and then falls back to the Proxy transport mode settings. Looks like you disabled this and force the Job to only process storage snapshots and as you do not have configured it, it will fail.
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 » 2 people like this post

Found out the issue was with the VMs I was using in the job. Swap those with VMs created from another template and was able to do hotadd.

Code: Select all

8/30/2021 2:14:31 PM :: Using backup proxy PROXY03.esd1.wa.lcl for disk Hard disk 1 [hotadd]  
8/30/2021 2:14:31 PM :: Using backup proxy PROXY03.esd1.wa.lcl for disk Hard disk 2 [hotadd]  
Thanks much for all the inputs!