Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iqbal_ghazali
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Muhammad Iqbal Ghazali

2 Veeam Backup server with HPE StoreOnce repository

Post by iqbal_ghazali »

Hi,

I new to veeam, will implemen 2 VBR server DC dan DR with HPE StoreOnce as repository.

In my research veeam only possible if we make it active - passive backup. DC actively backup and backup copy to DR, and DR will regularly importing backup jobs from DC. The VMware is doing VM replication.

But can we have only 1 catalyst store in each side and share it both side, and we make catalyst copy job?
Proxy DC will have access to catalyst store DC and DR
Proxy DR will have access to catalyst store DR and DC

Or we share the proxy server to both side, and we make traditional backup copy?
VBR DC will added proxy DC and DR
VBR DR will added proxy DR and DC

Please share your though and recommendation.

Iqbal
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: 2 Veeam Backup server with HPE StoreOnce repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Having two VBR servers is optional. For simplicity, I would go with one VBR server (depends on the environment, but usually one VBR server is enough). I don't know what you mean with "active-passive". For sure, you can to backups on multiple locations at the same time "active-active". Proxy servers should not be shared between different VBR instances because that leads to update dependencies and potential resource scheduling issues (the two VBR servers don't know from each other)

One repository (no matter whether it's StoreOnce or something else) can only be used by one VBR server and it's components (proxies etc.). That's one of the reasons, I recommend to think about one VBR server.

But of course, one StoreOnce system can have multiple Catalyst stores. So you can split one StoreOnce to multiple VBR systems. Also one catalyst store can host multiple repositories https://www.veeam.com/kb2987

I would avoid traditional backup copy if possible.

As you say "will"... if the hardware is not purchased yet, I would highly consider implementing the recommended reference architecture: having a stupid plain disk storage with XFS / REFS (HPE Apollo for example) as primary backup target and pointing to StoreOnce only as backup copy job target (for performance reasons).

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, you can write as well by Catalyst to a distant StoreOnce and leverage the Catalyst data reduction beforehand. You need to define a Gateway Server then that sits local to your backup jobs.

StoreOnce had no global deduplication and perform it by Catalyst Store. There is a hack available to leverage a single Catalyst Store with multiple Repositories (can be as well from multiple B&R Server). https://www.veeam.com/kb2987
iqbal_ghazali
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Muhammad Iqbal Ghazali

Post by iqbal_ghazali »

Ok then, i will consider creating multiple repositories.

But if DR event occur we still can import DC backup copy job in DR Veeam Server right?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes this is possible. You need to create then a new Repository (with same method) and point it to the storage place and select in the wizard that you want to import the backups.
You can as well try this with a test store and an empty VM for example (fast, don´t need space)