Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bgmncwj
Lurker
Liked: never

EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode -- conflicting documentation

Post by bgmncwj »

In the Best Practices guide https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/VBP/3_Build_st ... datastores it looks like there are only two options for EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode -- 0 (disabled) and 1 (Use same host proxy, wait and failover to NBD).

While in KB2353 ( & the Nutanix/Veeam ESXi best practices) it mentions 0, 1 & 2 -- mirroring the options for EnableSameHostHotAddMode.

In my testing so far with option 2 set for EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode it doesn't seem to use the proxy on the same host. I'm testing with option 1 tonight and will open a case if that doesn't work as I expect.

However in the meantime does anybody know which is correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode -- conflicting documentation

Post by foggy »

Please refer to this KB article for the difference between the registry values. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode -- conflicting documentation

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Thanks for sharing... I asked the best practices guide creators to update it. There are 3 values

Backup Server registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\
EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode
Type: REG_DWORD
Default value: 0 (disabled)
1 - Preferred Same Host. If a Direct NFS proxy exists on same host, Veeam waits for a free task slot there. If a proxy on same host does not exist, Veeam uses another Direct NFS proxy (on another host or physical server) or falls back to virtual appliance (hot-add) and finally to network (NBD) mode. This mode is not recommended with Nutanix.In this case, when proxy A is available on the same host, we will leverage it. If it's busy, we will wait for its availability. But if it becomes unreachable for some reason, we will use other Hot-Add proxy B.
2 - Same Host Direct NFS mode. Recommended for Nutanix. If there is no Direct NFS proxy on the same host as the VM, it falls back to network mode (NBD).In this case, when proxy A is available on the same host, we will leverage it. If it's busy, we will wait for its availability. If it becomes unreachable for some reason, we won't use other Hot-Add proxy B. Instead, we will switch to NBD mode.
Note: this value must be created on veeam backup server, also be sure that you apply this together with reading Nutanix best practice guide (still valid for v10 and later) https://www.veeam.com/nutanix-veeam-bac ... es_wpp.pdf