Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
great_vc
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vassilis

DELL SC Storage - Using it wrong ?

Post by great_vc »

Hi,

I think i have misunderstood the way the Storage Access works on the Storage Infrastructure when you add a Dell Compellent Storage.
My idea was that you add the storage and then the volume can be used as a "disk" of 10TB which you can add backup jobs as destination and be saved on that Volume.

But from the menu and some documents that i read i come to think that it uses as a primary snapshot with no retention from VEEAM as it is using the Snapshot policies of the Dell Storage on its own.

How can i add the specific volume to be seen as a "disk" like my SMB ones and be able to use it as a save backup method. Do i need a proxy or something like that. Any guidance will be helpful.

Thank You.
Vassilis
B&R v12, Suite
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: DELL SC Storage - Using it wrong ?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hello Vassilis,

the Storage Integration was added to Veeam for Primary Storage Processing for VMware or Windows.
For example when you use the SC as Primary Storage under VMware, you can use the integration to leverage storage snapshot for backups or keep them in addition to backups as additional restore points.

Backup target is added as Repositories where you can add Windows Server/Linux Server / SMB Shares/ NFS Shares or Dedup Appliances as backup target.
In your case when you want to use the SC system as backup target, you need to create a volume and give it to a windows or linux system as disk (format it with XFS on Linux or ReFS (64KB) on Windows), then add the Windows System as Repository. In smaller environments the Backup Server can take on this role.

It is important to keep backups not on the production storage.
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

Hi Andreas thank you for your prompt reply. I have read the document "sc-series-veeam-backup-replication-wp_en-us.pdf" which pretty much verifies my wrong idea and your point.
So we will create a VM that will have a disk on that Volume of the storage and we will use it as a SMB backup destination of 10TB. That is the approach, correct ?
B&R v12, Suite
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hello, SMB is the least stable protocol. I suggest to use iSCSI or NFS.
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

Noted Andreas, thanks!
B&R v12, Suite