Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
pogromca09
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomasz Michalek

How to backup Hyper-V Cluster

Post by pogromca09 »

Hello,

I need advice how to backup Hyper-V cluster. I use Veem B&R for backup but I cannot create recovery media becasue I see information that disk include Cluster shared volumine.

It is possbile to create recovery media or what is best approch for use Veeam to backup physical Hyper-V claster.

Thank you for advice.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to backup Hyper-V Cluster

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tomasz,
I cannot create recovery media becasue I see information that disk include Cluster shared volumine
Can you please clarify if that an error or warning message during recovery media creation process? Recovery media does not contain any specific information related to machine config, it's just a Windows RE image based on the operating system type. Thanks!
pogromca09
Novice

Post by pogromca09 »

Please see below info when backup finished.
"Skipping recovery media collection: cluster contains CSV disks"

And when I want to create recovery media from backuped server see error: "Faild to create recovery media: Recovery files not found in backup"

Cluster hyper-v works on Windows 2019 physical HP servers - 3 nodes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Tomasz,

Got it, sorry for the confusion. Can you right click the other node and see if the option to create recovery media is available? Thanks!
pogromca09
Novice

Post by pogromca09 »

Of course I checked other node but it is the same. I cannot create recovery media.
I tred to create backup job for one node not for all 3 with cluster but is the same. When backup job finished it is not possible create media file.

When I removed node from cluster and works standalone after backup it is possible create media disk.

Where I do mistake?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

It‘s not possible to create a recovery media on a failover cluster with shared cluster volumes without involving support. Please follow the instructions (contact veeam customer support) in the guide to get the registry value :)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
By default, you cannot create a Veeam Recovery Media for a failover cluster with Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV). You can enable creation of a Veeam Recovery Media for such clusters with a registry value. For more information, contact Veeam Customer Support.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software