Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
yardbird
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Severin Scheidegger

Double Encryption

Post by yardbird »

Hi Everyone,

Quick question about double encryption. We have enabled Backup File encryption in each Backup Job with the SOBR as Backup Repo. Now in the SOBR Configuration settings there is also an option to Encrypt Data uploaded to object storage and my question is, if i enable this option, does the backup uploaded to the object storage get doble encrypted and does that make any sence.

From what i know, there is no additional benefit in encrypting twice right? Or does Veeam handle this process diferently?

Unfortunately I havent found any specific post or Article to this topic but if you know of one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance and kind Regards,
Severin
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Double Encryption

Post by Gostev »

You're correct, there's no benefit in double encryption. You should enable it only in one place. Thanks!
yardbird
Novice

Post by yardbird »

Hi Gostev

Thanks so much for your fast reply and clarification. So I understand that when i enable the Backup encryption at the Backup Job level, the files that later get uploaded to the capacity tier are already encrypted, whereas if i only enable it in the SOBR Configuration settings, only the files uploaded to the capacity tier will be encrypted, correct?

Thanks & Regards,
Severin
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

About right. Backup files stored in the on-prem repository will never be encrypted, only the data offloaded to object storage will be.
yardbird
Novice

Post by yardbird »

Great, Thanks!