Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
umad
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Peteski

Set VM Tag without SCVMM

Post by umad »

A scenario with 300VMs on a Hyper-V cluster and 150 are Win10 and 150 are Server OS (linux and windows).

I only want to back up the server OS VMs and ignore the Win10 VMs. What is the best way to accomplish this? I have no trouble marking the VMs one by one if necessary and I thought about adding 150 exclusions but was wondering there is a better way.

I read that tags can be set on the VMs in Hyper-V and Veaam can read the tags like folders in VMWare to sort out which VMs to back up but that tags are only available if I have MS SCVMM which I don't run.

Can I set usable tags just using powershell or do I need SCVMM to use tags (or can I grab the SCVMM ps module, import it and tag VMs?)

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Set VM Tag without SCVMM

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You do need SCVMM to use tags.

But there's an alternative called VM groups:
https://horstmann.in/grouping-hyper-v-v ... eeam-jobs/
umad
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Peteski

Re: Set VM Tag without SCVMM

Post by umad »

Thanks Gostev. I did come across the groups as well and that works but only for standalone Hyper-V in its simpler form. Pretty neat and easy actually.

In my case it's a cluster and it becomes a bit more involved with cluster failover group and dependencies in play so I wanted to avoid that route and go with tags if that could work.

I ended up just using a bunch of exclusions one by one for the Win10 VDI. Didn't take that long and I achieved what I needed.

Thanks again