Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kreilinger
Lurker
Liked: never

How to backup storage spaces simple volume

Post by kreilinger »

I have a server 2019 fileserver, where I mounted two vmdks with each 62 tb in size. I need this to show up as a single volume in windows. I created a storage pool, disk und a volume, usin the simple mode. The disks reside on a high available storage infrastructure, so no need to worry.

I tried backing up the vm with Backup & Replication but it fails with "Application Error" - not much more to find out. I then came across this site: https://www.veeam.com/kb1989
This to mee, reads as if it is possible with veeam Agent, so I tried backing up using the agent.

But this fails with a vss writer error:
14.09.2021 16:43:29 :: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].

The command vssadmin list writes shows that the WMI, SQLServer & FSMRS writers show as failed because of timeout.

What would be the correct way of backing up this with veeam? Is there?

Using ESXi 7.0u1, newest veeam B & R v11
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: How to backup storage spaces simple volume

Post by Gostev »

Microsoft does not support VSS on volumes larger than 64 TB so the only option is to disable application-aware processing and do crash-consistent backups.
kreilinger
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by kreilinger »

I actually had not enabled application-aware processing. Was disabled in B&R and in Agent
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Sorry, due to the forum where you posted this I assumed host-based backup, completely missing the fact that you're actually trying to use an Agent. Agent requires Microsoft VSS snapshot in any case, because backup is performed from VSS snapshot. The only way to avoid this limitation is to use the storage snapshot integration.

Honestly I would avoid Agent altogether and instead troubleshoot your "Application Error" with the help of our support, as it might be due to a totally unrelated infrastructure issue. If you fix this, you should definitely be able to do crash-consistent backup of this VM.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You can find more here in the guide. For Agent backup, max supported filesystem size is 64TB:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
Microsoft Windows FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, ReFS file systems are supported.

The supported file system must reside on a volume that is 64 TB or smaller, because Veeam Agent uses the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider to create a volume shadow copy during the backup. To learn more about the limitation, see this Microsoft article.

For VM Backup it‘s max 62TB vmdk.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
All types and versions of virtual hardware are supported, including 62 TB VMDK.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software