Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
xudaiqing
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: xudaiqing

Migrate a refs block cloned repository using sector-by-sector clone of refs volume?

Post by xudaiqing »

I have a exist repository using refs block clone on a refs volume using storagespace. I want to offload all of the backups to a iscsi disk and I don't have enough space for all the files without block clone. The backup will just leave there for GFS purpose and no new backup will write to there.

I have searched around but can't find anything about if move the volume using sector-by-sector clone will work or not. Does anyone had experience?

I think my other solution will be move it part by part and using refs dedupe in between. The server runs server 2019. But i assume it will be a time consuming process.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Migrate a refs block cloned repository using sector-by-sector clone of refs volume?

Post by Gostev »

What about doing image-level backup and restore of said volume?
xudaiqing
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: xudaiqing

Re: Migrate a refs block cloned repository using sector-by-sector clone of refs volume?

Post by xudaiqing »

Never thought of that. The volume is 15TB in size, will this work using Veeam Agent?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Sure. Veeam Agent by itself can do up to 64TB volumes (Microsoft VSS limitation), and volumes bigger than that require the usage of storage snapshot integration.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

how will this work out if you at the same time move to a new server? is it possible to also move the index of the blocks and import it to a new server?
say we have a usb-drive with refs and block cloning.
how to achive this usb-drive will work when connecting to a new server?
an export/import of the block clone index seems reasonable