Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
quentinc25
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Quentin Corbett

Incremental with weekly synthetic full backups

Post by quentinc25 »

I don't think there is any issue but since upgrading to v11 our weekly synthetic fulls are showing as incremental in the logs. If you check that backup type it does show as "full" though. Anyone else seeing this? Sometimes the job will show as "Synthetic Full" if a VM fails and it retries the job. Just seems like an odd bug.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Incremental with weekly synthetic full backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Quentin, could you please clarify what do you mean by 'logs' here? Where is it seen as incremental exactly - somewhere in UI, job session, or debug logs? Thanks!
quentinc25
Novice

Post by quentinc25 »

The job sessions.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Prior to performing a synthetic full, the job does a regular incremental run and then synthesizes a full restore point. Are you sure this has actually changed since the upgrade?
quentinc25
Novice

Post by quentinc25 »

I don't think it has changed, but before it would list synthetic full in the job sessions. It shows incremental but it does show "full" if a job fails and retries. Its kind of odd to try and explain so here is some screenshots. Top shows a job (CCFOC_Azure) that is scheduled to run a synthetic full on 9/11/2021. It doesn't show a full until after a couple of failed attempts. If you run a restore and look at the backups for that job it does show "Full" as a restore option as seen in the second screenshot. I don't think its a issue and its probably the way I am looking at the history. Its running the incremental first and then synthetic after and I am just not seeing it in the job history. Maybe it would show the synthetic full results in a different log?

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I'd assume that it shows Incremental for the failed runs as it actually fails during the incremental part of the job. When it successfully completes incremental + synthetic full upon a retry, it marks the entire job run as Full.