Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BigLee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Johnson

How do I change my Backup Replication SQL back end to Azure SQL

Post by BigLee »

This is a difficult subject to search for, because most hits will be about how to back up/restore sql or azure. I installed B&E with default options and the built-in SQL express, and it works great. However, now I've come to the point where I need to backup to tape 11 MILLION FILES and thus I need to employ real SQL now to complete the backup job. I've finally realized if I use my onsite existing SQL server, and I ever had to restore that SQL server, i'm stuck because Veeam depends on that SQL server functioning to even work. Therefore:
1) How do I migrate my built in MSSQL veeam SQL database to a full-blown SQL instance, either onsite (not desirable) or to an AZURE SQL database?

I'd also like to know what others are doing to get around this issue; if you use your own SQL server for VEEAM, what are you going to do if it's the SQL server that goes kablooey? Also is anyone using an AZURE SQL server, OR AZURE SQL database object to connect to your Veeam Backup & Replication server? Azure should be pretty safe since it's offsite, however, there is a 85ms delay between onsite and AZURE connection. Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How do I change my Backup Replication SQL back end to Azure SQL

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lee,

To migrate database from one SQL server to another you can take a configuration backup via built-in utility and then perform configuration restore, here is the detailed guide: Migrating Veeam Backup & Replication to Another Server.
I'd also like to know what others are doing to get around this issue; if you use your own SQL server for VEEAM, what are you going to do if it's the SQL server that goes kablooey?
You can run Veeam B&R configuration backup periodically to a separate repository, whenever needed you just restore the configuration to another SQL server. Some folks are using Veeam Agent for Windows to take image level backup for the entire machine.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How do I change my Backup Replication SQL back end to Azure SQL

Post by Mildur »

However, now I've come to the point where I need to backup to tape 11 MILLION FILES and thus I need to employ real SQL now to complete the backup job
If you loose your sql server with the file to tape catalog, a configuration backup will not restore that tape catalog data back to the sql database.
I recommend todo a daily backup of the sql server.

If you have a disaster in your datacenter, you can try the following steps:
1) Install the vbr server to a new machine (if the old one is gone). For restore, community edition is will be ok.
2) Import the sql server restore point
3) Restore the sql server back to production
4) use the Veeam.Backup.DBConfig.exe to connect the new installed vbr to the restored database

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software