Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
pbenson
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Benson

Does VDRO require the virtual proxy appliance?

Post by pbenson »

I have a client whose Security team will not allow them to deploy the Veeam virtual proxy appliance for testing backups with the Virtual Labs feature. This customer is also interested in VDRO, but is worried that some features for testing a DR plan with will not work if the virtual proxy appliance is not used. Are there VDRO features that require using the virtual proxy appliance? I am seeking a meeting with the Security team to explain what the virtual proxy appliance is and how it operates, but I want to verify if it is even needed when using VDRO.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Does VDRO require the virtual proxy appliance?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

If you want to test your recovery plans, a virtual appliance is needed for veeam to connect to the instant recovered vms in the isolated networks.
Without them, veeam cannot test the network connectivity or application of the restored vm.

This vm will only be running, when the DR Plans are tested. If no test is running, the virtual proxy is powered off. It will have a network connection in the backup lan, and the other connections are complete isolated. They use vsphere vswitches without physical connection. Or a distributed vswitch, if you have a multi host data lab configured.

You can read more about this virtual appliance here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pbenson
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Benson

Re: Does VDRO require the virtual proxy appliance?

Post by pbenson »

Thank you @Mildur for that response. That is what I suspected based on what I had read. I'm still trying to get in front of the security team to explain what the Veeam virtual proxy appliance is and why it is needed.