Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

capacity tier different restore points

Post by mporliod »

Hello I have a question, I have created a scale-out repository with performance tier one data domain Dell and with capacity tier an object storage.
I have only enabled the copy mode option.
I would like to keep 21 restore points on the data domain and 7 restore points on the object storage.
it's possible ? how can I do ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: capacity tier different restore points

Post by Mildur »

No, that‘s not possible with a single job.
Capacity tier will always have the same amount or more restore points as the Performance tier.

With the move Policy, restore points on the performance tier will be moved to the caapcity tier and then deleted on the performance tier.
With the copy Policy, restore points will be copied to the capacity tier as soon as they are created on the performance tier.
The retention for both policys is controlled by the backup jobs retention settings.

There is no Policy to copy only a few restore point to the capacity tier and retain more restore points on the performance tier.
You need a second job (backup or backup copy) with a smaller retention to achieve your goal, to move only a few rp‘s to the capacity tier.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

Post by mporliod »

can I use my only data domain in one job as a repository and in another job as a scale out repository?
I could do a job where I use my data domain as a repository with 21 retore points and a second copy job where I use my data domain as a scale out repository with 7 restore points.
It's possible ?
what happens if my object storage has no more space? is overwritten?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

can I use my only data domain in one job as a repository and in another job as a scale out repository?
Yes, you can.
what happens if my object storage has no more space?
The same as with ordinary repository - a job will fail (I assume you are not referring to any of hyper-scallers, but to local object storage system instead).

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I would create different ddboost storage units.
One for the simple backup repo.
One for the SOBR.

As far as I know, datadomain has a global deduplication. There should be no issue with dedup if you use two Storage units.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software