Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
pls
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Shields

SOBR to AWS Setup

Post by pls »

We have a physical Veeam server with the default backup repository. We have a backup copy job sending data to a storage device in separate building. We have a second backup copy job that sends data to a SOBR that is made up of a local QNAP storage device and an AWS S3 bucket. SOBR is configured to copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created. Everything is working as designed. However, I was talking to a colleague at another location that has created a SOBR using the default repository and an S3 bucket. I cannot find much info that compares the two methods. I would like to get rid of the storage device if not needed. Are there advantages to backup --> backup copy --> SOBR?
Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SOBR to AWS Setup

Post by PetrM »

Hi Phil,

If I understood correctly, there are two backup copy jobs: one job is pointed to the standalone repository and another one to SOBR with the Capacity Tier? In this case, the only advantage is that you have an additional copy of data on the standalone repository. On the other hand, it's enough to have just one backup copy to respect 3-2-1 rule and it can be targeted to the SOBR from which data is transferred to the Capacity Tier.

I believe that you can decommission QNAP and build SOBR consisting of the standalone repository and object storage and use just a single backup copy.

Thanks!
pls
Enthusiast

Post by pls »

What you say makes sense but I am not sure it is going to work for us. BCJ1 goes to a building that is connected to main facility using multi-mode fiber that is old. To use it in a SOBR the offload traffic would have to come back to the main building over the same MM fiber to go out the ASA. I am not sure it can handle the additional traffic.
Is it common or acceptable to have a SOBR that consists of the default backup repository and an AWS S3 bucket? I still need to keep the BCJ to the other building.
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can use this design without any issues. So if you plan to decommission storage device, you can do that and stick to default repository (plus S3 bucket). Thanks!
pls
Enthusiast

Post by pls »

Using a single server as a test case I was able to eliminate the storage device and have a default repo plus S3 bucket. I did this by changing the SOBR to use the default Repo as the performance tier instead of the storage device. When I was done the existing BU files in S3 showed up as Object Storage (Orphaned) and all of the files in the default repo were offloaded again to AWS during the next backup job. Is there any way to use the existing BU files in S3 for the new SOBR. I am guessing no since they are from a backup copy job.
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your assumption is correct, and in your case you won't be able to reutilize the data already stored in object storage. Thanks!