Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gtsintaris
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gregoris Tsintaris

FLR for Windows hosts not working VEEAM10a

Post by gtsintaris »

Hello all,

Recently I tried to restore a file from a Windows server backup using the guest file restore as usual, only that I couldn't since the windows file restore was grayed out!
Anybody stumbled into this issue before?
To make things even more weird, the feature works for some very old imported backups!

Any insight welcome!!!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: FLR for Windows hosts not working VEEAM10a

Post by PetrM »

Hi Gregoris,

Maybe system disk is excluded? A similar problem was discussed in this thread. You may also double check the requirements for Windows File Level Restore. If all requirements are met, then it would be best to contact our support team and ask them to determine the cause of this technical issue. Please don't forget to share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!
gtsintaris
Novice

Post by gtsintaris »

Hi PetrM!

I have seen this thread and it is not the case, Ia have checked thoroughly all the backups and found out that the issue is present in 2 windows servers. All the others have FLR working! Those 2 servers have their system disks included, have no running jobs or even failed. On the VMWare side no snapshot or replica exists and when restoring the full VM it works without issue....
I'll try create another backup job for the same VM and try to see if it has the same behaviour... Is there any log or something to show why the machine is excluded from FLR??

Thank you very much for your help!
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Not a solution to your problem, but as a workaround you could use the linux FLR appliance; just select Restore guest files -> Linux and other.
gtsintaris
Novice

Post by gtsintaris »

I tried the linux method but the VM created produced a lot of errors and never booted... Is there a possibility that Veeam is not recognizing Windows Server 2019 quest VM as a windows machine? I tried the credentials for indexing to test and it fails with:

20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: Find target VM on Host X.X.X.X
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: Validating guest agent availability for the VM
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: VM is powered on
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: Guest OS state is Running
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: VMware Tools status is Ok
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: VMX file name: [storage] fssrv/fssrv.vmx
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: IP address: X.X.X.X2
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: Guest OS: Undefined Operating System
20/9/2021 2:15:21 μμ :: Undefined Operating System guest OS requires Linux credentials.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Gregoris,

Windows Server 2019 is supported, you may refer to this table to find the full list of supported applications. Please open a support case and let our engineers to investigate the issue, we cannot troubleshoot technical problems over forums posts, troubleshooting requires debug logs analysis and the precise examination of environment via remote session. Forum posts about technical issues without support case ID will be removed by moderator.

By the way, Instant Recovery might be a workaround as well, please see this KB for more details.

Thanks!
gtsintaris
Novice

Post by gtsintaris »

Thank you for the insight! I'll try to open a case although I have not an active support contract.. Anyway thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Without active support contract you won't be able to receive an assistance with the troubleshooting, unfortunately. Also, you can use Instant VM Recovery coupled with copying utility as a workaround for those problematic VMs. Thanks!
gtsintaris
Novice

Post by gtsintaris » 2 people like this post

FYI I have started the restore from the VBK files as per the agent restore manual and it worked! Hope this helps anyone with the same issue as a workaround at least!
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50