Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Unable to backup vCenter/Veeam server in v6

Post by bunger »

My vCenter server and Veeam server are on the same virtualized server. In the previous version of Veeam, I was able to backup this VM using Network mode and selecting the specific ESX host as the source.

Because we have upgraded to ESXi 5, I can no longer backup Veeam to an ESXi host and created a new replica job. Unfortunately, I get this error when running the job:

Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to backup this VM. Check processing mode settings

My backup proxy is set to fail-over to network mode if the other modes don't work and "application-aware image processing" is not enabled on the job.

Am I missing something easy to get this working again?

Tia,
Bill
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Unable to backup vCenter/Veeam server in v6

Post by Gostev »

Hi Bill, from your description, you are doing everything right and this should work. Log investigation is required here to the backup server does not see any backup proxies available for the task. I can say that I heard similar report once, but could not find it quickly. Please update with your support case number so that the resolution is not lost. Thanks!
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

I didn't get a support ticket number, but I was told it is failing because Veeam's SQL instance is also on that same box and that is the point of failure. He provided 2 options:

- create an additional Backup Proxy on a different box and perform the replication job through the new backup proxy
- move the Veeam SQL instance

I am going to try the first option and will let you know...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, SQL server presence definitely cannot affect proxy availability or selection. Whoever told you this confused this with an unrelated issue.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

His name was John and he was pretty adamant that was the issue.

I just created a second backup proxy living on a different Win2k8 box and tried running the job again - it ran slow ( about 13MBs), but it worked?!

Bill
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That's great to hear, but I am still really interested to learn why it did not want to use the original proxy.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

I would be happy to post or test anything to help determine why it was failing, but not sure where I would start...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Oh, I did not expect you to do this. If you let me know your support case number, I will ask devs to investigate this assuming you have already uploaded the logs showing the issue.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Unfortunately, they didn't give me a support case number... :-(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

How did you submit the logs then? Or you did not, and it was just a phone call, and no one even looked at the logs? That's bad.
Anyway, it takes just a few click to open a new support case at http://vee.am/support
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

They didn't ask for any logs. I barely got through the problem description and the diagnosed the issue and gave me the two options. I interrupted him and read him the error message and he still insisted that was the issue.

Regarding the support case creation: I originally tried that route but was unable to locate the replicate job log in the given path ( c:\users\<user>\appdata\local\Veeam\Backup ), so I just called instead...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If you go to Help > Support Information, there is a wizard that prepares support package automatically for you. You don't need to be looking around for logs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

By the way, can you clarify if you are talking about backup job (as stated in the topic name) or replication job (as stated in the first post). I am a bit confused.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Sorry about that confusion. I know backup won't work as it is to an ESXi 5 host, so it is a replication job....
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Oh - in that case, this makes it a know issue/limitation. For replication, the target proxy cannot be the same VM as the one that is being backed up. Backup will work fine though, because with backup there is only source proxy.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Now you have me confused. :-)

The target destination is an ESXi host, so I don't think that backup will work either. Correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sorry for that :D correct, ESXi was never supported as a backup target anyway.

Replication will work, it is just that 2nd (different) proxy is needed to be used as a target proxy. But you have already did that earlier anyway (on the previous page you said you added the 2nd proxy, and then the job worked - as expected).
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Excellent - thanks for all of the help!!!
elvis
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Petr

Post by elvis »

hello,
i have same problem. not working replication VM including Vcenter and backup and replication. error is Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to backup this VM. Check processing mode settings on proxies.
Replication is scheduling into VSphere server to server. My question is : how I create secondary proxy? sorry for my bad english. thx, Petr
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Petr, to create backup proxy, right-click Backup Proxies under Backup Infrastructure in the left pane and select Add VMware Backup Proxy.
elvis
Novice

Post by elvis »

thanks for your answer foggy. I tried of course.
so, I have only 1 Windows Server in infrastructure. If I choose a proxy server "This server" I get answer "VMware backup proxy olready exist ". :-(
exist another way?

( is nonsense to buy a new Windows Licenses. I think that if this worked without problems in version 5 and the new version 6 this does not work, it is a bug and you need fix it! ).

thanks for all ideas
Petr
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please read through this topic carefully, this is not a bug but peculiarity of the new v6 architecture. Two proxy servers are required for replication and there is a known limitation where the VM being replicated cannot be used as the target proxy.

To add additional proxy you need to add another Windows computer to Veeam B&R infrastructure (using the Add Server button on the toolbar). You can set up a proxy on any of your existing computers, no need for new Windows license. After adding it to infrastructure, it will be available in the drop-down list when choosing a proxy server along with "This server".
elvis
Novice

Post by elvis »

Foggy thanks for the effort. not your fault that it does not work, all o.k.

but I disagree.
1) my first replication create on B&R V5... an working fine .
2) after upgrade on B&R V6 working all fine!
3) but after I was remove original replica ( hdd crash ) , is not possible create replika now .

so, is not fact , that B&R V6 can not replicate itself ( point 2 ).
probably works incompetent programmer.(?)

this answer "this property can not now" I understand in case of the open source applications , but not for commercial solutions.
Cheers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

After upgrade, the existing jobs continue to run using the legacy application architecture.

However, the newly created job are using new replication architecture with its own requirements.
For example, it requires a different proxy server to replicate itself, and target proxy.

Because the new and old replication architecture is entirely different, and you cannot really compare these two together directly.

It's like saying that you new car with automatic transmission has a bug that you cannot switch gears manually, like you were able before on your old manual transmission car... yes, some may consider this as "limitation" of automatic transmission architecture. But the benefits are still overwhelming for most.
webstyler
Enthusiast
Full Name: Simon

Replica of VM Veeam failed

Post by webstyler »

[merged]

Hi

Veeam B&R is installed on VM windows server 2008

Now we would like to replicate this VM but job failed with this error:
"Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to backup this VM. Check processing mode settings on proxies."

We haven't setting other proxy that default .. only way is to add new ?

Any idea ?

Tx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, to replicate Veeam backup server itself you need to add another proxy server.
DaFresh
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric Lemarchand

Post by DaFresh »

Gostev wrote:After upgrade, the existing jobs continue to run using the legacy application architecture.

Because the new and old replication architecture is entirely different, and you cannot really compare these two together directly.

It's like saying that you new car with automatic transmission has a bug that you cannot switch gears manually, like you were able before on your old manual transmission car... yes, some may consider this as "limitation" of automatic transmission architecture. But the benefits are still overwhelming for most.

Hello,

I am sorry Gostev, but i do not agree with you, in our scenario, speeking about the possibility of "Veeam replicating itself", it is regession.

Let me explain,here we have only one Windows VM (running Vpshere & Veeam) backing up lot of Linux VM, et replicating them (including herself) on a remote NFS share. This is the only VM running windows, it's was working like a charm with v5.

Now with the v6 upgrade, that bring us a lot of new interesting features, we need to deploy, only for this need (eg replicate the VM running Veeam to the NFS share, because we need to replicate it ....) a Windows vm, that will cost us a licence .... so for this point only, this is a regression.

I have read a lot of documentation and advices before take the choice to upgrade in v6, and i do it mainly because of the new "bandwith throttling" feature, which is really usefull.

BUT, i haven't read nowhere that there will be a drawback for the replication of the VM running Veeam, and honnestly, for this thing only, i am not sure to upgrade my others sites to v6 while there will be this drawback in Veeam. Do you think that the new v6.1, will correct this thing ?

Anyway, i agree with you on the point that Veeam v6 brings a lot of new nice features.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I believe we added this capability in 6.1, but I need to double check with QC to be sure.