Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

SureBackup UI Improvement Request - Subnet Handling within Virtual Lab Network Settings

Post by micoolpaul »

Hi,

I'm curious how others are working with SureBackup Virtual Labs when using smaller subnets. I personally believe that there are some UI improvements that could benefit the setup when working with smaller or "less typical" subnet sizes.

Scenario:
Customer has 10.x.x.x subnets with a /25 CIDR (255.255.255.128 Mask).

When you use a traditional /16 or /24, Veeam will automatically insert the relevant letters for masquerading. For example:

10.10.1.1/16 - If I created a masquerade of "11.10." Veeam will then auto offer C.D as the final two octets. This is great!

Likewise if I do 10.10.10.1/24 and created a masquerade of "11.10.10." Veeam will then auto offer D as the final octet.

This all goes out the window however if we use something smaller such as /25 and can become extremely confusing. This is not so great!

Example:
10.10.1.129/25 is 10.10.1.129-255 for use by hosts, but rather than Veeam SureBackup insert the letter D again and handle this, it wants an IP, but it doesn't provide any further information, nor the help center documentation.

Proposal

It would be handy if Veeam would provide either of the following options:

1. Preferred, more flexible: A dropdown of suitable network address options to retain flexibility for users when working with these subnets.
2. Simpler: Keep the "letter" option and match the relevant octets to the Proxy appliance mask.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup UI Improvement Request - Subnet Handling within Virtual Lab Network Settings

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
thanks for the request. It makes sense (same like many other requests related to SureBackup).

I have the same "issue" in my environment. I just ignore it - but as I said earlier: it makes sense to improve that đź‘Ť

Best regards,
Hannes
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: SureBackup UI Improvement Request - Subnet Handling within Virtual Lab Network Settings

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Noted for internal discussion.
/Thanks for feedback!