Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Removing a VM in a VM Group

Post by storageguy »

Hi,

I removed a VM from a replication job. But within the VDRO, that VM is still showing under the VM Group. Is there a way to remove a VM in the VM group?

Thanks
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Removing a VM in a VM Group

Post by Alec King »

Hi there, if you are using the VM Group that is based on the replication job, then the VM should automatically be removed (and this would be recorded in the Definition report change log)

It may be that you need to wait for the VM Group to update. This should happen within 10 - 15 minutes.
storageguy
Expert

Post by storageguy »

Well it's been over a day now and the VM still showing in the VM group. I am using the out of box VM grouping based on Veeam B&R Jobs.

thanks
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hi, we are double-checking this behaviour on our side.
Meantime - Can you please open the Veeam ONE UI on the Orchestrator server? This is an 'embedded' version of ONE and this is how we collect data regarding VM Groups, VBR jobs etc. It is automatically configured as part of Orchestrator install.
In the ONE UI switch to the Business View tab, under Virtual Machines you should see the groups based on jobs. Is the VM membership correct there?
It could also help if you could open a case with our support team. They will assist with gathering logfiles and so on.
Thanks!
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hello again, I've confirmed this behaviour is correct. We do not remove a VM from a group/plan until the last restore point is removed by retention on VBR.
After this, we can no longer recover this VM, so it can be removed from the plan. I'm assuming although you edited the job, you did not remove restore points.
So the job groups in Orchestrator do not exactly track the current members of the job - they track the available restore points of the VM.
If you do wish dynamic groups that update immediately you can use vSphere tags.
Hope that helps!
storageguy
Expert

Post by storageguy »

Thanks @Alec King for looking into this. That make sense now. I'll remove the restore points and see how it goes.

Thanks